Some Hilton Honors Members Seeing Accounts Drained from Fraudulent Amazon Purchases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LoyaltyLobby is reporting that some Hilton Honors members with accounts linked to Amazon have had their Honors accounts drained of points via Amazon purchases. Hilton added the option for members to use their points to shop on Amazon back in 2017. However, TPG doesn’t recommend redeeming points on Amazon if you want the maximum value for your hard-earned points, but it is an option.
We reached out to Amazon for comment, but Amazon referred us to Hilton’s FAQ page about the Honors and Amazon program.
A spokesperson for Hilton said, “Hilton Honors has the appropriate security and fraud protection measures in place, and we count on our partners to do the same. If one of our members notices suspicious activity on their account, we encourage them to contact us immediately …” Fraudulent activity can be reported by calling 1-800-548-8690 or online.
“Our team’s normal approach is to investigate a customer report, then reset or recreate that account. In a situation where an individual is missing points, they will be made whole,” the Hilton spokesperson said. The good news is that if there is suspicious activity on the account, Hilton is ready to replace the points.
Hilton told us it doesn’t share members’ account information publicly, and, therefore, is unable to say how many of the more than 85 million Honors accounts may have been affected. The spokesperson reiterated to TPG that anyone who suspects fraudulent activity on their account should contact Hilton immediately to resolve the problem.
Be sure to safeguard all of your accounts with strong passwords that you change on a regular basis to ensure you keep your account as secure as possible.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.