Some Hilton Honors Members Seeing Accounts Drained from Fraudulent Amazon Purchases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LoyaltyLobby is reporting that some Hilton Honors members with accounts linked to Amazon have had their Honors accounts drained of points via Amazon purchases. Hilton added the option for members to use their points to shop on Amazon back in 2017. However, TPG doesn’t recommend redeeming points on Amazon if you want the maximum value for your hard-earned points, but it is an option.
We reached out to Amazon for comment, but Amazon referred us to Hilton’s FAQ page about the Honors and Amazon program.
A spokesperson for Hilton said, “Hilton Honors has the appropriate security and fraud protection measures in place, and we count on our partners to do the same. If one of our members notices suspicious activity on their account, we encourage them to contact us immediately …” Fraudulent activity can be reported by calling 1-800-548-8690 or online.
“Our team’s normal approach is to investigate a customer report, then reset or recreate that account. In a situation where an individual is missing points, they will be made whole,” the Hilton spokesperson said. The good news is that if there is suspicious activity on the account, Hilton is ready to replace the points.
Hilton told us it doesn’t share members’ account information publicly, and, therefore, is unable to say how many of the more than 85 million Honors accounts may have been affected. The spokesperson reiterated to TPG that anyone who suspects fraudulent activity on their account should contact Hilton immediately to resolve the problem.
Be sure to safeguard all of your accounts with strong passwords that you change on a regular basis to ensure you keep your account as secure as possible.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees