This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines love to add new routes — especially profitable ones, like New York (JFK) to London (LHR) — but occasionally, they run into delays acquiring new aircraft, or planes already in their fleets need to be grounded for extensive repairs.
When all else fails, carriers call on a wet-lease operator like Hi Fly to swoop in and save the day, transporting passengers on behalf of the airline selling the ticket. In the case of Norwegian’s recent Dreamliner engine issues, that meant ringing up Hi Fly, which carried Norwegian passengers earlier this year an A330.
This week, Hi Fly’s fleet is getting a superjumbo upgrade, as it adds the world’s first used Airbus A380. The plane, one of Singapore Airlines’ first, has been refurbished inside and out, and now sports one of the most interesting liveries in the biz.
The livery and aircraft are supporting the carrier’s Mirpuri Foundation, and its campaign to “Save the Coral Reefs.” The plane has a slightly different color and design on each side.
The starboard side is painted in dark blue, and displays destroyed corals, while the port side is a lighter blue, representing healthy marine life.
As exciting as the aircraft’s livery may be, we’re especially curious about what we’ll find once inside, considering that Hi Fly and Airbus have been fairly mum on the interior design. We’re keeping our fingers crossed for an inside look at the Farnborough Air Show — assuming that works out, stay tuned for much more to come!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees