Hertz to give elite status benefits to all new loyalty members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, Hertz announced that it will give Five Star elite status to all new Hertz Gold Plus Rewards members, effective immediately. Elite status will automatically apply to all new Hertz accounts created on or after July 1.
Additionally, the company announced that existing Hertz Gold Plus Rewards members will earn double points on all rentals through the end of the year.
This promotion is great for new members but could have some unforeseen fallout for existing Hertz elites. Let’s take a closer look at the promotion and discuss what it means for existing Hertz elite members.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter!
Hertz giving Five Star elite status to all new members
As discussed in the intro, all new Hertz Gold Plus Rewards members are eligible for mid-tier Five Star elite status when signing up for a new account.
This promotional status delivers all the standard Five Star benefits, including:
- 25% bonus points on all rentals, for 1.25 points per $1 spent on rentals.
- Space-available car upgrades.
- A wider selection of cars at Ultimate Choice lots.
This free elite status is good through the end of the year. Members can extend this promotional elite status for another year by completing three Hertz rentals before the end of 2021.
Normally, Five Star requires 12 rentals in a single calendar year, but this has been reduced to 10 rentals in 2021. This promotion gives new members a taste of elite status without committing to spending a set amount of money.
New Hertz members can take advantage of this promotion by creating a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards account online. Status will be automatically added to their account after it’s created.
Existing members earn double points on rentals through September
Existing members aren’t eligible for complimentary elite status but will earn double points on all rentals through Sept. 30. This means that members without status will earn 2 points per dollar, while top-tier President’s Circle elites earn 3 points per dollar spent.
Members can earn double points for rentals at any corporate-owned neighborhood or airport location. To earn, book directly on Hertz.com and enter promotion code “210520” at checkout.
This is a nice benefit for existing members — especially if they already have elite status and can stack with an elite bonus. This effectively makes free rentals half as hard to earn, which is great if you’re renting cars frequently through the end of the summer.
Unfortunately, existing Hertz members without elite status aren’t eligible for this promotion. They will have to earn status the old-fashioned way: by renting cars with Hertz.
What does this mean for existing elites?
While it’s great to see Hertz announce new promotions to incentivize car rentals, I think Hertz’s existing elites are getting the short end of the stick here.
It will soon be harder for elites to clear a car upgrade with a sudden influx of new elites. This is especially unfortunate given we’re in the middle of a rental car shortage where getting any car at a reasonable price is difficult.
Five Star members are eligible for space-available upgrades and a better selection of cars at airports and rental locations with an Ultimate Choice lot. At these lots, members can pick any car they’d like and drive off the lot.
Generally, Ultimate Choice has a general member lot, Five Star lot and President’s Circle lot. I worry that a sudden flow of new renters will leave Ultimate Choice lots empty of premium cars, leaving existing members without the upgrade they earned.
I also worry that top-tier President’s Circle elite members will see less car selection due to this promotion. Some of these cars could be shifted to the Five Star lot to accommodate an influx of demand.
Of course, this is all just speculation, but it will be interesting to see how this large number of new elites affects long-term Hertz renters. But as a President’s Circle elite myself, I’m concerned given how hard it’s been to get a decent car upgrade over the past year.
Today, Hertz announced that new Gold Plus Rewards members will receive complimentary Five Star elite status through the end of the year, with an option to extend with three rentals. Existing members are eligible for double points on rentals.
These promotions seem great on paper, but I think they will be detrimental for existing members. It will likely make upgrades harder to clear and Ultimate Choice lots bare of nicer cars.
Featured photo by antonnot/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees