Hertz Becomes First Non-Air Affiliate of SkyTeam, but Benefits Are Unclear
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At a glance, the latest news surrounding Hertz and SkyTeam appears to be little more than a marketing play — dollars changing hands in a bid to increase exposure, with little-to-no substance in terms of customer benefit. That could change as the partnership evolves, of course, but it looks a little weak from the outset.
Hertz has just become the first non-air affiliate of SkyTeam, and while we’re told that “SkyTeam passengers [will] enjoy car rental benefits and earn frequent flyer miles when renting with Hertz,” there’s next to no meat beyond that. It’s also worth pointing out that Hertz appears to have no filter whatsoever when it comes to partnering with entities that aren’t Hertz. The rental car outfit has so many airline partners that it has to organize them in alphabetical order on a splash page.
So, what’s in it for those who fly within the SkyTeam alliance on carriers such as Delta, Air France, KLM and Korean Air? Precious little outside of this mention: “Passengers participating in the Frequent Flyer programs of SkyTeam member airlines will receive a special code for their Hertz car rental bookings.” The announcement fails to clarify how and when this code will be distributed, and it’s a safe bet that you’ll still save more when renting a car if you just use AutoSlash.
Compounding things, it doesn’t appear that Hertz’s loyal members receive any benefits whatsoever when flying a SkyTeam airline. It’s worth noting that Delta’s Diamond and Platinum Medallion members receive Hertz President’s Circle status already, while Gold Medallion members receive Hertz Five Star status. United also has a longstanding alliance with Hertz, though it recently tightened mileage-earning opportunities for renters.
For now, it’s probably a tie-up that isn’t worth digging into, but we’ll keep an eye out to see if perks of the partnership blossom. In the meantime, be sure to check out our guides to the best credits cards offering elite status within rental car agencies, how to save when renting a car, and maximizing Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
H/T: View from the Wing
Featured image courtesy of Hertz.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees