Hertz and United Tighten Generous Mileage-Earning Opportunity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For nearly three years, United has offered a generous promotion that allows you to earn up to 2,750 miles for every Hertz car rental you make through its site. And besides the promotion end date, its terms remained mostly unchanged — until now.
United will continue to run the promotion through at least September 30, but now you’ll need to make a minimum two-day rental to earn the bonus miles. Given that people typically rent cars for more than two days, most should be unaffected by this change. However, some people made one-day rentals solely to leverage this promotion.
As we learned from JJ Todd, the man who’s earned over 1.2 million United miles by renting cars, in a way, this promotion has often been the cheapest way to “buy” United miles. He’s completed hundreds of rentals, typically for between $22-$30 each time, essentially buying miles at ~0.5 cents each — a great price considering that they’re worth 1.4 cents apiece based on TPG’s latest valuations.
In fact, we reached out to JJ for comment and this is what he had to say, “The Summer Promo that provided an additional 3,000 bonus miles per rental (5,250 miles total) ended on February 1. Since then, I’ve been earning 2,250 miles per rental, which put an end to renting multiple cars per day. Renting cars is still an important part of my points and miles strategy and my transportation needs. But the reduced mileage has me revisiting other rental car companies when the prices and promotions make the most sense. The change to a two day minimum on Hertz rentals is just a new piece of the equation. I’ll still be renting from Hertz, but much more selectively.”
The following earning rates will remain in place for all rentals:
- 500 miles per rental for general MileagePlus members
- 750 miles for MileagePlus Chase cardholders
- 1,000 miles for Silver and Gold elites
- 1,250 miles for Platinum, 1K and Global Services elites
Then, you’ll receive an additional 1,500 miles when you book a mid-size or larger for two or more days.
If you want to take part in the promotion, head to cars.united.com, use discount code (CDP) 62455, PC#305023 and input your MileagePlus number at the time of reservation. As a reminder, there are several credit cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, that offer primary car rental coverage and will have you fully covered during an accident.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.