Subscription Rental Car: You Can Now Swap Hertz Vehicles Twice a Month for $999
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve dreamed of renting a car, falling in love and never returning it, listen up — Hertz My Car is a new all-inclusive monthly subscription to rental cars. On the heels of a disappointing loyalty program devaluation, Hertz’s new car subscription service is launching first in Atlanta and Austin, with monthly pricing starting at $999.
Subscribers to Hertz My Car have the flexibility to choose from two subscription tiers. Tier One ($999 monthly, plus taxes) includes full-size sedans, small SUVs and trucks, while Tier Two ($1,399 monthly, plus taxes) offers luxury sedans, regular SUVs and large trucks. According to a Hertz press release, customers can exchange their vehicle twice a month to another make or model within the tier “so they always have the vehicle that best fits their needs.”
The all-inclusive monthly subscription covers vehicle maintenance, roadside assistance, vehicle damage, a SiriusXM satellite radio subscription and limited liability protection. Hertz has outlined the steps to get started on its website. It looks as simple as subscribing online, paying a one-time $250 enrollment fee and awaiting a phone call to arrange your first selection.
While the move is a first for a major car rental brand, it’s not a first in the industry. Audi Select allows customers to pay $1,395 monthly for access to an A4 sedan, A5 convertible, S5 coupe or Q5/Q7 crossover. As ridesharing and leasing options become more popular amongst those who are opting out of car ownership, it makes sense for Hertz to leverage its fleet in this manner.
The $999 tier breaks down to roughly $33 per day, which isn’t a screaming deal by any measure. AutoSlash, our go-to source for securing deals on car rentals with outstanding customer service backing the deals they surface, can routinely find rates for less than that sum. If you book your rental car with the right credit card, primary auto insurance is included as well.
As a matter of comparison, we ran mock rentals for the entire month of July 2019, picking up and returning in Atlanta — one of the two cities where Hertz My Car is launching.
AutoSlash found a deal for $913 per month for a standard car.
With National, rates started at $1,208 for a midsize car and climbed to around $1,700 for an SUV, though this includes taxes.
Ironically, Hertz’s website routinely produced an error when attempting to book a monthlong reservation.
Hertz has also confirmed plans to expand the subscription service “to additional cities in the near future,” though details beyond that are scarce. It’s also unclear if you’re able to pick up and drop off at different locations. Subscribers will earn Gold Plus Rewards points at a rate of 1 point per $1 spent, with 25% and 50% bonuses for Five Star and President’s Circle members.
Unfortunately for road-trippers, there’s a monthly mileage limit of 2,000 miles, with overages charged at $0.35/mile. You can swap vehicles more than twice per month if you’re willing to pay an added $75 per exchange. Hertz My Car can pick you up and bring you to the location you selected, so be sure to request it when completing your subscription.
There are quite a few other stipulations (including one that cars must be returned during business hours), so be sure to study the frequently asked questions page on Hertz’s site before pulling the trigger.
Featured image courtesy of Hertz.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees