Hertz Devalues Gold Plus Rewards Program With No Prior Notice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hertz has devalued its Gold Plus Rewards program without notice, with a new award chart in effect immediately for US rentals. While we don’t expect firms to maintain the status quo indefinitely, it’s common for loyalty programs to introduce changes with a future date of introduction, allowing existing members to plan trips in the interim. After all, loyalty programs require loyal customers to function, and making massive changes with no notice is a great way to lose that loyalty.
For those looking to redeem points for a summer rental with Hertz, the news ranges from bad to atrocious. While some rentals within the United States now cost around 11% more (like a one-day rental rising from 675 points to 750 points), discounted weekend awards have vanished entirely and select specialty vehicle redemptions now cost over 70% more. The Gate has an exhaustive breakdown of the award chart changes.
Worse still, the changes were made just days before numerous point packages go on sale via Daily Getaways. Now, the deals being offered aren’t even possible to redeem. For example, a bundle of 16,500 points is being offered for $698, with a headline that indicates that haul will be enough to splurge on a one-week rental from Hertz’s Prestige Collection. Unsuspecting buyers will be shocked to find that a one-week Prestige rental now costs 25,000 points, or a 51% increase.
There’s really no silver lining to be found. Awards are up across the board, and with no notice, exiting Hertz loyalists are left with no other option but to burn their stash using the new rates. We at TPG recommend spending your points as soon as you have enough for a specific redemption that you’re eying to hedge against changes like this, and it’s never a bad idea to collect points from Chase, Citi and American Express, which can be transferred to myriad partners.
While the move is far from consumer-friendly, it’s not out of line for Hertz. The car-rental outfit changed the window for points expiration from 24 months to 18 months earlier this year without prior notice.
Featured image courtesy of Hertz.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees