Here’s how the new Chase card perks apply to authorized users
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Adding authorized users to your travel credit card accounts can be a great way to share your card benefits, and even your credit history, with family or friends. But you don’t want to go adding anyone to your account all willy nilly because depending on the card, there can be a fee for authorized users. Also, authorized user cards will add toward that person’s Chase 5/24 count.
This week there have been several new DoorDash and Lyft benefits announced for certain Chase credit cards. These perks include increased earning rates for Lyft rides and Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardholders also get a free year of Lyft Pink. In addition, the Sapphire Reserve is now offering up to $120 in DoorDash credit ($60 in 2020 and $60 in 2021) and a complimentary DashPass membership for up to two years. The DashPass benefits also applies to other cards, but you won’t get as long of a free membership. For example, Chase Freedom® (No longer open to new applicants) accounts only get three months of DashPass for free.
Chase authorized user card perks
You can take advantage of the DashPass perks right now and the other benefits are went live on Jan. 12, 2020. On that date, the Sapphire Reserve’s annual fee increased from $450 to $550 a year for new applications (renewals will pay the increased fee as of April 1, 2020). But, the good news is that the fee for adding authorized users to your Reserve count will remain the same at $75 per card. Sapphire Reserve authorized user accounts don’t get an extra $300 in annual travel credits or another TSA PreCheck/Global Entry fee credit. However, they do get access to the card’s excellent travel protections and their own Priority Pass membership.
Here is how the new Chase Sapphire Reserve perks will apply to authorized users:
Both the primary accountholder and authorized users will earn bonus points for Lyft rides. The bonus is 10x points for Reserve cards and 5x points or 5% cash back for cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and Chase Freedom Unlimited®.
The Sapphire Reserve’s complimentary Lyft Pink membership is limited to one per account, so you don’t get an extra one for adding an authorized user. To activate the Lyft Pink membership, you must have the latest version of the Lyft app installed and set your default payment method to your eligible Reserve card.
The Sapphire Reserve DoorDash statement credits will automatically apply to eligible purchases made by the primary cardholder or authorized users, but you won’t get extra credits for adding authorized users.
When it comes to the DashPass subscription, Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve authorized users are eligible for their own complimentary DashPass membership. The membership normally costs $9.99/month and gets you free delivery on orders of $12 or more. The offer will be activated the first time you use the card by Dec. 31, 2021. The terms state you’ll get a minimum of one year of membership, but you can get almost two full years (until Dec. 31, 2021) if you activate the membership right now.
For any version of the Freedom card or Chase Slate card only one user per account (primary accountholder or authorized user) is eligible for the DashPass subscription benefit. Also, the DashPass membership you get with those cards is only free for three months, then discounted at 50% for the next nine months before returning to the full price.
The information for the Chase Slate has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Keep in mind, this DashPass benefits will only apply when you are using an eligible Chase card as the default payment method; you won’t get the DashPass perks if you remove your Chase card as the default payment method.
Related reading: Significant changes confirmed for Chase’s Sapphire Reserve card
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- Earn 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3X points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more