Hawaii’s Kilauea Volcano Formed a Mini Island Overnight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii might’ve just grew another island after the ongoing Kilauea Volcano eruption created a small block of land in the ocean.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory field crew discovered the tiny island during a morning flyover on Friday. This island is about 20 to 30 feet in diameter, so don’t expect to be booking a vacation here any time soon. The miniature block of land formed Thursday just off the Big Island’s northern edge, the United States Geological Survey said.
The agency suspects the lava is flowing from fissure 8, which erupted as late as May 5. Another reason could be from a submarine tumulus, which is essentially a push-up structure where the upward pressure of slow-moving molten lava pushes the overlying crust upward.
“Whether this little thing is going to survive, my guess would be wave action will probably erode it down or new lava will come in and connect to it and grow out. The long-term implications aren’t terribly significant,” Paul Segall, a professor of geophysics at Stanford University, said. “As lava is flowing into the ocean, it’s forming new land, and this is just a step in that process.”
Kilauea’s continually eruptions since early May have destroyed dozens of homes in the Big Island’s Puna district and has forced more than 1,700 people to evacuate their neighborhoods.
Featured image by USGS.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.