The Grand Canyon’s east entrance is open again — What you need to know before you visit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The east entrance to Grand Canyon National Park is open again after being closed for a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The eastern entry point along with the scenic State Route 64 opened again to visitors on Thursday.
It had been closed due to pandemic restrictions by the Navajo Nation to prevent the spread of coronavirus. The decision to reopen the east gate was made after consulting with tribal leaders and other local officials who determined it was safe.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
“Over the past year, we have continued to coordinate with local Cameron Chapter and tribal officials from the Navajo Nation, as well as other stakeholders and business leaders on the east gate closure,” Park Superintendent Ed Keable said in a statement. “As vaccine rollouts continue, we recognize the need to normalize our operations and allow for visitors to have a drive-through option on Highway 64.”
If you’re planning to make a visit, be aware that some COVID-related restrictions remain in place at Desert View. Perhaps the most notable is the fact that the iconic Desert View Watchtower remains closed. You can still take in the breathtaking sight from the Navajo Point
The 22-mile drive along SR 64, the “Desert View Drive,” provides a number of stunning vistas, including Duck on a Rock and Grandview Point. Parking is available at each viewpoint. However, no services — including food, gas, and the campground site — will be available at Desert View until further notice, due to lack of staffing. The closest place to find such services is about 30 miles away in Cameron.
Also, if you go, don’t forget your credit cards. No cash is being accepted for entry at the moment, but you can use the Your Pass Now and America the Beautiful passes. The South Rim section in Grand Canyon Village does have more available service options. You can learn more on the official Grand Canyon website.
Featured photo by Greg Meland/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees