It’s now easier than ever to order takeout and delivery with Google Maps shortcuts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Restaurants have been hit particularly hard by the outbreak, as most have been banned from having diners inside their venues. As a result, many have shifted to delivery and takeout to bring in revenue, or have been forced to shut down altogether.
Fortunately, Google just surfaced a feature that could help connect these restaurants with new customers. It recently rolled out shortcuts that makes it easier for users to order takeout and delivery from their favorite spots.
When you open Google Maps, you’ll now see “Takeout” and “Delivery” tabs right under the search bar, along with preexisting shortcuts for categories such as gas and groceries. While Google Maps always allowed you to search for restaurants that deliver, the shortcut is sure to make your food ordering process that much easier.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
After you select either takeout or delivery, you can then filter by type of cuisine, distance and price, as well as if the restaurant is open now or later. Depending on the restaurant, Google can redirect you to various available delivery options, including Seamless, Uber Eats, Postmates, DoorDash and more.
This is good news, since if you have the right credit card, you may be able to get more money off your order.
If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve in your wallet, for example, you have up to $60 in statement credits for 2020 from DoorDash, a popular food delivery platform available in New York City. (Although DoorDash owns Caviar, the statements do not apply to Caviar orders, Chase told TPG.)
Additionally, if you have the American Express® Gold Card, you can use your up to $10 monthly statement credits (up to $120 every calendar year) on Grubhub and Seamless orders. If you have The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can use your monthly Uber credit on Uber Eats orders (up to $200 in annual Uber credits per year).
No matter what, it’s always a good idea to have a credit card in your wallet that earns bonus points on food delivery. Our top picks are the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (3x). While now is not the time for unnecessary travel, it is a good time to rack up points and miles you can later use to take your dream vacation.
Featured image courtesy of Aleksandr Zubkov/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees