This Glamping Startup Just Raised $115 Million and Is Coming to a Campsite Near You
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Glamping startup AutoCamp wants to make sure your next camping trip is filled with luxury — and just raised a boatload of cash to do it.
The 5-year-old company is based in San Francisco, and known for its selection of modernized RV campers and luxe tent accommodations in popular camping areas in California, including Yosemite, Santa Barbara and the Russian River. AutoCamp says its campsites blend “the traditional outdoor experience with the service and design of a boutique hotel.”
In its latest round of fundraising, AutoCamp raised $115 million in investments to expand its locations outside of its current California sites and beef up its 50-person workforce, Skift reported. Leading the round of funding was private equity firm Whitman Peterson.
The company’s RV-like campers are custom built by Airstream, and part of the new funding will go toward deepening AutoCamp’s partnership with Airstream. According to the company’s website, the RVs are all outfitted with “luxury linens, bedding and bathrobes” and situated near “clubhouses” that offer “mid-century modern inspired reception and meeting space.”
Yes, they’ve got quite a lot of buzz words sure to resonate with millennial travelers, as will the Instagram-worthy tents, vehicles and campsites. And that will certainly be good for business, as millennials make up 40% of all campers, according to Forbes.
Bookings for an Airstream camping vehicle “classic suite,” which features a queen-size bed, “spa-inspired” bathroom and foldout couch during peak season in Yosemite started at $365 per night. The same location and timeframe for a luxury tent, which also comes with a queen-size bed, fireplace, mini-fridge and private fire pit, started at $265 per night.
In addition to its new funding, AutoCamp brought on two industry titans to join its advisory board in January: Chip Conley, founder and former CEO of Joie de Vivre Hospitality, and Mike Depatie, former president and CEO of Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, according to Skift.
It’s not clear where AutoCamp wants to place its new campsites, but with its new funding and advisors, we wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a brand US travelers hear more about in 2019.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees