This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My parents get a lot of credit for my travel inspiration, from taking me on trips all over the world when I was young to helping me finance a study abroad program in Paris where I really caught the travel bug. With Mother’s Day (and Father’s Day) coming up right around the corner, I’ve been searching for travel-themed gifts to express my appreciation. So this year, I’m leaving the diamonds at home and giving my mother the gift of Platinum.
Adding Authorized Users on Your Amex Platinum
If you have The Platinum Card from American Express, you can add up to three authorized users on your card for a flat fee of $175 for all three cards. Authorized users on a Platinum card get to enjoy a lot of the best premium perks, such as:
- Access to Amex Centurion lounges, including the ability to bring up to two guests
- Access to Delta Sky Clubs when flying Delta on the same day
- A Priority Pass membership, including two free guests
- A $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check
- Hilton Honors and SPG/Marriott Gold elite status
- Access to the Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts collection
This is an especially great gift for Mom and Dad, as it will save them time at the airport and make their trips more comfortable and luxurious. What I especially love about this is that they can take these benefits and use them wherever they want to travel. You’re not picking out a gift for them that they may not like — rather you’re enhancing any future trips they decide to take.
While most premium credit cards now offer Priority Pass memberships, not every airport has a convenient Priority Pass lounge. The addition of Centurion lounge access and Delta Sky Club access is huge here, and it’s why the Amex Platinum is the single best credit card for lounge access.
Costs and Cautions
To be fair, there are a few costs to consider. First, paying $175 to add three authorized users is relatively steep compared to other cards like the CSR. But since it costs the same to add one user as it does to add three, you should look for siblings or friends you can share the
love lounge access with. Also, remember that you’ll be responsible for any charges made on these cards, so make sure to set the credit limits on each authorized user card to a relatively low level if you don’t intend for them to be used for purchases.
Last but not least, make sure you ask your parents before simply adding them! Authorized user cards will likely show up on their personal credit report and could even affect their ability to open new cards in the future, so get permission first.
If you don’t currently have the Amex Platinum card, there’s still time to sign up and request authorized user cards before Mother’s Day rolls around! And if you apply, you can earn a bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months — which includes any spending on your authorized user cards.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees