Fuel Truck Crashes Into United Boeing 777 at Dulles, Delaying Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Boeing 777-200 was parked at Gate D5 at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) on Monday when a fuel truck crashed into one of the plane’s engines, delaying the flight until another aircraft replaced it.
Thankfully, no one was on the plane when the incident occurred. According to airport officials, only “minor damage to the left aircraft engine casing” resulted from the crash. No one was injured.
United released the following statement in response to the incident at Dulles:
“The vehicle of a vendor servicing United 915 from Washington Dulles to Paris accidentally made contact with the Boeing 777 aircraft. No customers were onboard the aircraft when this occurred. The flight will experience a slight delay as we swap aircraft. We apologize to our customers for the delay.”
The replacement aircraft was also a Boeing 772 — registration N786UA. The flight was delayed just less than an hour, departing at 6:17pm instead of the scheduled 5:25pm. However, the aircraft made up time in the air and landed in Paris at 7:08am — just 13 minutes later than scheduled. According to PlaneSpotters.net, N786UA is just more than 21 years old, having been delivered to United in April 1997.
Just last month, a similar scenario occurred in Frankfurt when a tow truck caught fire while transporting an A340, leading the plane to get burned as well. No one was on the plane when the fire started.
H/T: Fox News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.