Fuel Truck Crashes Into United Boeing 777 at Dulles, Delaying Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Boeing 777-200 was parked at Gate D5 at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) on Monday when a fuel truck crashed into one of the plane’s engines, delaying the flight until another aircraft replaced it.
Thankfully, no one was on the plane when the incident occurred. According to airport officials, only “minor damage to the left aircraft engine casing” resulted from the crash. No one was injured.
United released the following statement in response to the incident at Dulles:
“The vehicle of a vendor servicing United 915 from Washington Dulles to Paris accidentally made contact with the Boeing 777 aircraft. No customers were onboard the aircraft when this occurred. The flight will experience a slight delay as we swap aircraft. We apologize to our customers for the delay.”
The replacement aircraft was also a Boeing 772 — registration N786UA. The flight was delayed just less than an hour, departing at 6:17pm instead of the scheduled 5:25pm. However, the aircraft made up time in the air and landed in Paris at 7:08am — just 13 minutes later than scheduled. According to PlaneSpotters.net, N786UA is just more than 21 years old, having been delivered to United in April 1997.
Just last month, a similar scenario occurred in Frankfurt when a tow truck caught fire while transporting an A340, leading the plane to get burned as well. No one was on the plane when the fire started.
H/T: Fox News
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees