An Airbus A340 Got Burned in a Bizarre Accident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Airbus A340 was damaged seriously in Frankfurt on Monday morning in an unusual accident involving a tow truck catching fire and burning the airplane. The Lufthansa Airbus A340-300 was being towed when the truck caught fire, damaging the front of the plane. The plane was unoccupied by passengers or crew as it was just being towed, however 10 people were reportedly taken to the hospital after inhaling smoke from the fire.
Images and video footage of the scene fire quickly appeared on Twitter. In the tweets, you can see charring at the nose of the plane and smoke billowing around the front of the A340.
Thankfully, Frankfurt airport didn’t experience any delays due to the incident. A reserve plane was able to replace the A340-300 for its scheduled afternoon flight to Philadelphia.
What happens to a plane after it’s been in an accident can vary depending upon many factors. They often end up back in the air after being repaired, but Lufthansa may decide this particular jet is too old to be economically repaired and put back in service. The Airbus, bearing the German registration D-AIFA, was delivered in 2000 according to fleet tracking site Planespotters.net, making it 18 years old. The site also lists as one of the A340s Lufthansa reconfigured for use on routes where premium demand isn’t heavy, with just 18 business class seats and 19 in premium economy. Lufthansa is replacing its four-engined A340s with the newer, twin-engined A350s — which TPG’s Zach Honig reviewed in business class.
Featured image screencapped from Youtube video
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.