An Airbus A340 Got Burned in a Bizarre Accident
An Airbus A340 was damaged seriously in Frankfurt on Monday morning in an unusual accident involving a tow truck catching fire and burning the airplane. The Lufthansa Airbus A340-300 was being towed when the truck caught fire, damaging the front of the plane. The plane was unoccupied by passengers or crew as it was just being towed, however 10 people were reportedly taken to the hospital after inhaling smoke from the fire.
Images and video footage of the scene fire quickly appeared on Twitter. In the tweets, you can see charring at the nose of the plane and smoke billowing around the front of the A340.
Thankfully, Frankfurt airport didn’t experience any delays due to the incident. A reserve plane was able to replace the A340-300 for its scheduled afternoon flight to Philadelphia.
What happens to a plane after it’s been in an accident can vary depending upon many factors. They often end up back in the air after being repaired, but Lufthansa may decide this particular jet is too old to be economically repaired and put back in service. The Airbus, bearing the German registration D-AIFA, was delivered in 2000 according to fleet tracking site Planespotters.net, making it 18 years old. The site also lists as one of the A340s Lufthansa reconfigured for use on routes where premium demand isn’t heavy, with just 18 business class seats and 19 in premium economy. Lufthansa is replacing its four-engined A340s with the newer, twin-engined A350s — which TPG’s Zach Honig reviewed in business class.
Featured image screencapped from Youtube video
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees