This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra low-cost carrier, Frontier Airlines, is trying to become more family-friendly. One of the most practical ways to meet the needs of traveling families is to simply fly where folks want to go and offer tickets at reasonable prices. Today, Frontier hit a big milestone in that quest as is added the 100th destination to its route map with the addition of seasonal service from Denver International Airport (DEN) and Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Harlingen Valley International Airport (HRL) in Texas. Service in Harlingen kicks off on November 21 for flights to/from Chicago and November 22 for flights to/from Denver.
Harlingen flights are available for sale now from about $49 each way, though flights during the peak winter holiday dates are significantly pricier. If you are looking to use Frontier miles on this route, flights are available from 10k Frontier miles each way, with peak dates costing double that amount. Of course, when airfare prices are that low you are often better served using points from a fixed-value rewards card such as the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card than worrying about airline award charts and availability.
While the following don’t represent new destinations for Frontier, there were four additional new seasonal routes announced today:
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Sarasota (SRQ) beginning Dec. 10
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – Palm Springs (PSP) beginning Dec. 14
- Las Vegas (LAS) – San Jose Del Cabo (SJD) beginning Dec. 15
- Las Vegas (LAS) – Cancun (CUN) beginning Dec. 21
If a Frontier Airlines flight is in your near future, be sure and register for their fast-track to elite status promotion. You can earn their base-level Elite 20k status by registering, and flying four eligible segments on Frontier by October 15, 2018. Your 20k elite status would then be valid until December 31, 2018. You must register for the promotion at least 48 hours before taking your first qualifying flight, and your fast-track Elite20k status should be reflected within 48 hours of your final qualifying flight. If you want more than a few months of Frontier elite status, remember that their co-branded credit card now earns elite status qualifying miles.
Frontier Airlines’ business model is to sell cheap tickets and then charge extra for almost everything. They certainly aren’t the right choice for everyone, but sometimes the cheapest flight wins. With 100 destinations in their network (and growing), Frontier can get you to more places than ever before.
Featured image by Tomás Del Coro via Flickr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards