This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra low-cost carrier, Frontier Airlines, is trying to become more family-friendly. One of the most practical ways to meet the needs of traveling families is to simply fly where folks want to go and offer tickets at reasonable prices. Today, Frontier hit a big milestone in that quest as is added the 100th destination to its route map with the addition of seasonal service from Denver International Airport (DEN) and Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Harlingen Valley International Airport (HRL) in Texas. Service in Harlingen kicks off on November 21 for flights to/from Chicago and November 22 for flights to/from Denver.
Harlingen flights are available for sale now from about $49 each way, though flights during the peak winter holiday dates are significantly pricier. If you are looking to use Frontier miles on this route, flights are available from 10k Frontier miles each way, with peak dates costing double that amount. Of course, when airfare prices are that low you are often better served using points from a fixed-value rewards card such as the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card than worrying about airline award charts and availability.
While the following don’t represent new destinations for Frontier, there were four additional new seasonal routes announced today:
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Sarasota (SRQ) beginning Dec. 10
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – Palm Springs (PSP) beginning Dec. 14
- Las Vegas (LAS) – San Jose Del Cabo (SJD) beginning Dec. 15
- Las Vegas (LAS) – Cancun (CUN) beginning Dec. 21
If a Frontier Airlines flight is in your near future, be sure and register for their fast-track to elite status promotion. You can earn their base-level Elite 20k status by registering, and flying four eligible segments on Frontier by October 15, 2018. Your 20k elite status would then be valid until December 31, 2018. You must register for the promotion at least 48 hours before taking your first qualifying flight, and your fast-track Elite20k status should be reflected within 48 hours of your final qualifying flight. If you want more than a few months of Frontier elite status, remember that their co-branded credit card now earns elite status qualifying miles.
Frontier Airlines’ business model is to sell cheap tickets and then charge extra for almost everything. They certainly aren’t the right choice for everyone, but sometimes the cheapest flight wins. With 100 destinations in their network (and growing), Frontier can get you to more places than ever before.
Featured image by Tomás Del Coro via Flickr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that