This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra low-cost air carrier and airline elite status perks may sound like mutually exclusive concepts, but they actually go together like syrup and waffles when done correctly. Earlier this summer, Frontier Airlines completely overhauled its frequent flyer program to expand benefits, create new status levels, add new avenues to earn elite status and make its elite status more valuable to family travelers. If you fly enough on Frontier Airlines (or spend enough on its co-branded credit card), you can now get free advance seat assignments, waived bag fees, free Discount Den membership and more. At the higher status tiers, many of these perks are not just valid for the traveler with elite status, but for the entire family on the reservation!
Of course, starting from zero earning elite status is never fun, so Frontier has released a promotion that will get you to its first-tier Elite20K status with just two round-trip flights! The entry-level Elite20k status level normally requires 20,000 eligible flown miles and/or $20,000 spent on the Frontier co-branded credit card (or a combination of the two). Frontier Elite20k level gives you a free full-sized carry-on bag, complimentary seat assignment at booking and enables your family to pool miles together to book awards faster. With this status level, a roomier stretch seat is complimentary at check-in, if available.
With the new Frontier fast-track to elite status promotion, you can book and fly two Frontier round-trips (four nonstop flights) by October 15, 2018, to receive Elite 20k status until December 31, 2018. You must register for the promotion at least 48 hours before taking your first qualifying flight, and your Elite20k status should be reflected within 48 hours of your final qualifying flight. I confirmed with Frontier that flights booked before registering for the promotion are still eligible during the promotion as long as you have registered at least 48 hours before your qualifying flight.
Additionally, Frontier is counting this promotion by segments, so you only need four segments to qualify for elite status. This means that one eligible round trip flight with a connection each way, for a total of four individual flights, would work to earn you elite status! Award tickets or complimentary tickets of any kind are not considered qualifying flights for the purposes of this promotion.
Frontier Airlines’ entry-level status isn’t great for those who travel with a family because most of the perks at that level are just for the traveler with status, but earning airline elite status with just two round-trip flights isn’t a bad deal when you consider that Frontier flights are sometimes available for just $15 each way. At those prices, maybe your whole family will end up with their own Frontier elite status and perks!
Thank you to The Short Final for spotting this offer.
Featured image by Kathryn Scott Osler/The Denver Post via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees