Frequent flyer Q&A: Agustin Aguero, from Buenos Aires
This January, I joined a very special flight, traveling from Frankfurt, Germany to Bogota, Colombia, with three fellow aviation geeks. Gino Bertuccio and Cherag Dubash flew on the port side of Lufthansa’s Airbus A340-600 first-class cabin, in 1A and 2A, with Buenos Aires-based travel agent Agustin Aguero seated with me on the starboard side.
I had plenty of time to chat with Agustin during the 12-hour journey. I learned about his adventures, including self-funded travels around the world. It’s common for travel agents to get discounts or even complimentary nights at hotels and resorts, but premium-cabin travel is rarely included; if they want to fly up front, they’re often left to buy a ticket themselves, or book or upgrade using points and miles. Agustin provided some insight into how he gets it done.
Question: What do you do for work?
Answer: I’m a travel agent. I prepare personal travels, flights, hotels and activities.
Q: How many miles did you fly in 2019?
I flew 69,000 miles last year.
Q: How many nights do you spend at home each year?
Q: How much of your travel is business vs. leisure?
100% of my travel is leisure.
Q: What’s your favorite first-class product?
Q: And business class?
Q: Do you ever fly economy?
Yes, for short-haul travel.
Q: When was your first international first-class flight?
Bangkok to Doha with Qatar, in 2017.
Q: What are some of your favorite places to visit?
Q: What are your preferred airlines?
Q: Do you have a preferred hotel chain?
I prefer boutique hotels, since they’re more private.
Q: What’s your biggest travel pet peeve?
When people get too drunk when they fly.
Q: Which credit cards do you use on a regular basis?
Tarjeta Visa Signature LATAM Pass, from BBVA (only available in South America).
Q: Aside from your passport, what are some items you’ll never leave home without?
My credit card, and my iPhone 11 Pro.
For a closer look at what it’s like to travel like Agustin, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees