UPDATE: You could fly to Paris on this low-cost carrier’s new route for just $299 (eventually)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
7/15/20 UPDATE: French Bee tells The Points Guy the launch of their new service is delayed despite the website allowing flight bookings. In an email on July 15, spokeswoman Catherine Louis said, “Our Orly/Newark/Orly flight is in fact postponed for the moment due the pandemic situation and the closure of borders between our countries.” She says they will update us when the flights are due to begin.
Low-cost carrier French Bee is apparently launching long-planned service between Newark (EWR) and Paris’s Orly Airport (ORY) as early as August despite coronavirus restrictions keeping most Americans out of Europe.
We’ve reached out to French Bee (formerly French Blue) to confirm the dates, but hadn’t heard back by publication time. The flights are now bookable for dates from August 1, 2020.
We first reported the new flight back in 2019 when the announcement meant 10 carriers had plans to fly the New York-area to Paris routing. That’s obviously not the case currently, but it’s a competitive route and French Bee’s presence will make it even more affordable for travelers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The low cost carrier also flies from Paris Orly to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and then on to Tahiti (PPT) using Airbus A350-900 aircraft. Those flights are expected to resume on July 15 since French Polynesia is again open to Americans.
The company is using an Airbus A350-900 for the flights. In fact, the airline is a 100% Airbus A350 airline.
I searched for flights in August on Frenchbee.com and found itineraries as low as $299 round trip in their version of basic economy.
For a less restrictive fare, you can fly for as little as $459.17 round trip in coach.
French Bee’s A350s offer two classes of service. You can either fly premium economy, with 35 seats, or in coach, which has 376.
Related: Review of French Bee in economy
The same flight in premium economy would be $949 roundtrip.
While most Americans still can’t travel to Europe, it might be worth doing some research on flights for later in the year or for early 2021, when — hopefully — restrictions will have eased.
Related: Comparing Paris airports
Maximize your purchase
Unfortunately French Bee doesn’t have a frequent flyer program or any other relevant partnerships.
But if you pay with The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can earn 5x points on the purchase (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel; starting Jan. 1, 2021, earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). You could also use a card like the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card to “erase” the charges.
Related: The best Capital One credit cards
Other cards that give additional points on airfare purchases include the Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or American Express Travel), or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Additional reporting by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Featured image courtesy of French Bee.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees