FlixBus Launching New Routes in the Northeast This Week With Fares From $7 One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just shy of one year since it launched its first routes in the West Coast, FlixBus just announced another major expansion here in the US. The bus company that’s become renowned for cheap bus travel through 28 countries in Europe is quickly making inroads in a county where few may still know its name a year after its launch.
On this Thursday — exactly one year from its inaugural US service — FlixBus will launch up to 11 frequencies per day on a new route that runs between New York City, Baltimore, Washington DC and Richmond, Virginia.
To help drive excitement (and sales), FlixBus is selling tickets on this route for just $4.99 per person plus a $2 booking fee. That’s the price for the short 45-minute hop between Washington DC and Baltimore or the 7-hour journey from New York City to Richmond:
The northeast will become FlixBus’ fourth region after its US debut in the West Coast/Southwest in May 2018, expanding to Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi in March 2019 and launching a smaller Utah route network in April 2019. With this week’s expansion, FlixBus will now serve 80 destinations in the US:
As a veteran of FlixBus rides in Europe and the US, Katie and I have always had a good experience. The buses have been new and clean, power outlets have worked and we have only had minor delays. While the on-board amenities — like Wi-Fi and availability of buy-on-board food/drink — have been hit-and-miss, the cheap FlixBus fares make the experience an incredible value.
However, one aspect to keep in mind: FlixBus is a virtual bus company, or as it calls itself, “Europe’s leading mobility startup.” FlixBus itself doesn’t own or manage any of the buses. Instead, it partners with local bus companies to operate the routes while FlixBus plans the routes, markets and sells tickets. FlixBus has 300 worldwide bus partners with 20 companies operating routes here in the US as of this week.
Based on comments left on TPG‘s review of the inaugural US ride, some of these partners were off to a bad start shortly after the launch. And, based on FlixBus reviews on sites like Yelp, the company still has some work to do. Hopefully these growing pains don’t continue on the new Northeast route.
Featured photo by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees