FlixBus expands Northeast network with fares starting at $7 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a few months after launching its Northeast route network, FlixBus is expanding yet again. On Sept. 23, the low-cost city-to-city bus company announced it’s expanding service into Boston later this week. To kick off the new service, FlixBus has dropped fares on the new route to just $4.99 per person — before a $2 booking fee.
Boston-based passengers can catch a ride between Boston and New York City 3-5 times daily. The journey from either Boston’s Traveler Street or Tufts University to 31st Street in Manhattan is scheduled for 4:15 hours.
Even before factoring in local transit, that’s longer than half of the options tested in TPG’s recent race from Boston to NYC. However, at just $7, FlixBus is a much cheaper option than taking a plane or train:
Passengers can also now book a FlixBus all the way from Boston to Washington, D.C. with a transfer in NYC, but these itineraries are much longer. For that route, it’s probably best to take a flight.
When the route launches on Sept. 26, Boston will become the 70th U.S. destination on Flixbus’ ever-growing route map — which will now be due for another update. Flixbus operates four separate regions in the U.S.: West Coast/Southwest (starting in May 2018); Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi (March 2019); Utah mini-network (April 2019) and Northeast U.S. (May 2019):
As a veteran of FlixBus rides in Europe and the U.S., Katie and I haven’t had a bad experience on the lime-green buses. Each bus we’ve taken has been new and clean, the power outlets have worked and we have only had minor delays. While the on-board amenities — like Wi-Fi and availability of buy-on-board food/drink — have been hit and miss, the cheap FlixBus fares make the experience an incredible value.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that FlixBus doesn’t own or operate any buses in the U.S. Instead, it partners with local bus companies to operate the routes while FlixBus plans the routes, markets and sells tickets. Indeed, FlixBus markets itself as “Europe’s leading mobility startup” — meaning that it operates more like Uber than Greyhound. Across the world, FlixBus partners with over 250 bus operators in 19 countries.
To maximize your point earnings and to protect yourself in case of a trip delay, we recommend booking FlixBus rides with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Other top choices include the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card — both of which also offer trip delay reimbursement.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees