JetBlue’s first A321neo takes to the skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is in the midst of a transformative period that will see the airline take delivery of longer range, next generation aircraft and expand its international service, most notably when it launches flights to London in 2021. The airline currently has 85 Airbus A321neo aircraft on order, as well as 13 of the even longer range A321XLRs.
At the end of June, JetBlue took delivery of its first Airbus A321neo from the Airbus factory in Hamburg. The plane, which has the tail number N2002J and is named in honor of JetBlue founder David Neeleman, has sat mostly idle since its delivery, but it has now begun flying flights as of the end of August.
The airplane is based out of New York (JFK), but it’s currently being used on a seemingly random set of domestic and Caribbean routes. In the last week, it’s been spotted in Boston (BOS), Denver (DEN), Aruba (AUA) and more according to data from flightradar24.com. These are likely test flights, as the flight numbers (in the 6000s) are not normal JetBlue flight numbers.
The first A321neo was tentatively scheduled to fly JetBlue’s flight 1701 from JFK to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) on Sep. 24, along with the return flight 1202 from Fort Lauderdale to JFK. However, an A320 is now slated to operate those flights, and the aptly numbered “Flight 1” from JFK to Fort Lauderdale at 9:58am will see the first official commercial A321neo that day.
Then, beginning on Dec. 5, JetBlue will officially launch new service to Guayaquil (GYE) in Ecuador from JFK using the A321neo. This plane, and the majority of JetBlue’s A321neos, will be configured with 200 Even More Space and economy seats, the same as its current fleet of A321s.
The carrier also has a number of standard A321s equipped with its lie-flat Mint business class product. These aircraft have 159 seats, including 16 Mint seats. JetBlue has promised a new reimagined Mint experience on its A321LRs when it launches service to London in 2021, but has not yet released details on the new product.
Featured image courtesy of JetBlue.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees