EVA Air’s ‘Hand in Hand’ special livery is being retired — find out where you can see it one last time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The “Hand in Hand” Boeing 777 will wrap up its flight schedule in the current livery on May 16, when the plane will then be repainted in the airline’s traditional scheme and all the unique interior design touches that made the plane kawaii will be removed.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel and airline news!
Registered as B-16703, the Boeing 777-300ER is nearly 15 years old, according to Planespotters.net, and was painted in the “Hand in Hand” livery in 2013. According to data from FlightRadar24, the aircraft has most recently been flying between Taipei (TPE) and the U.S. — Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). The airline said that it will fly to San Francisco again before the livery is retired.
The “Hand in Hand” 777 jet earned its name because the paint scheme shows the popular Hello Kitty character holding hands with other characters created by the Sanrio company. EVA has had a fleet of Hello Kitty jets in the sky for years. The flights are famous for their themed experience, with everything from the boarding passes to onboard pillows and even the toilet paper carrying the iconic Hello Kitty branding.
It’s not clear what this means for EVA’s other Hello Kitty planes — an A330 and 777-300ER — which have provided a profitable boost to the airline’s bottom line over the years. So far, the “Hand in Hand” jet is the only one losing the special branding. Part of the reason behind the move could be cost management as the airline looks to bounce back after a tumultuous year thanks to the pandemic. The Hello Kitty in-flight experience has been suspended since April 1, 2020 due to COVID-19.
If you want to get one last look at the Hello Kitty jet, EVA has a special website dedicated to Hello Kitty flights. Since Americans still can’t fly to Taipei, your best chance to get a glimpse of the “Hand in Hand” aircraft will be in San Francisco in the coming weeks.
Featured photo by Mark Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees