Dreaming of Europe this summer? Check out these flight deals.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As we learned Sunday, the European Union is expected to welcome vaccinated American tourists this summer — news we’ve all been waiting for since international travel essentially ground to a halt in March of 2020.
Although we don’t yet have a confirmed reopening date, this is a promising sign that summer travel to parts of Europe will return as the number of vaccinated Americans climbs and the number of COVID-19 cases drops. It will, however, be up to each individual country to determine its own re-entry rules.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Some European countries have already eased border restrictions, including Iceland, which is now open to vaccinated Americans, along with travelers who have recovered from a previous COVID-19 infection. And while not yet open to American tourists, France is expected to allow some U.S. visitors to enter as early as May, though details have yet to be finalized there.
Here are a few flight deals to get you excited about the latest development in the return to international travel. Keep in mind that this is an ever-moving target, so make sure to carefully read any and all cancellation policies before booking.
For cash fares, remember to pay with The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Newark (EWR)/New York-JFK to Rome (FCO) for $706 on United, Alitalia
Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) to Prague (PRG) via Lisbon (LIS) for $442 on TAP Portugal
ORD to LIS via Montreal (YUL) for $337 on TAP Portugal
Los Angeles (LAX) to Dublin (DUB) with one stop for $505 on Star Alliance carriers
Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Dublin (DUB) via LIS from $335 via TAP Portugal
JFK to Paris (CDG) round-trip in July and August for 60k AAdvantage miles + $97
IAD to Frankfurt (FRA) on United for 60K round-trip in economy (120K in business) in July/Aug
ORD to Copenhagen (CPH) on Star Alliance from 60k miles round-trip with one stop in July and August
JFK to Amsterdam (AMS) for 66k Skymiles + $68 in July
The possibility of traveling to parts of Europe this summer is a game-changer. For the bullish, there are deals to be had so long as you read the fine print when it comes to cancellation policies.
Famous iconic Trevi Fountain at Piazza Di Trevi. Courtesy of hocus-focus/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees