Etihad will begin testing technology that could identify early stages of coronavirus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad could potentially become the first airline to implement a new technology that would screen passengers for dangerous medical conditions, like early stages of COVID-19.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The airline announced in a press release that it partnered with Elenium Automation — an Australian company — to trial the new self-service technology, which is able to monitor temperatures, heart rate and respiratory rate of any traveler using an airport touchpoint such as check-in kiosks or security points. If a passengers vitals indicate any potential illness, the self-service process would automatically stop and alert a qualified staff member on-site to further assess the passenger.
This trial is set to begin at the airlines hub airport, Abu Dhabi (AHU), from the end of April throughout May 2020 on volunteers and then outbound passengers once flights resume.
“This technology is not designed or intended to diagnose medical conditions. It is an early warning indicator which will help to identify people with general symptoms, so that they can be further assessed by medical experts, potentially preventing the spread of some conditions to others preparing to board flights to multiple destinations,” Jorg Oppermann, Vice President Hub and Midfield Operations, Etihad Airways, commented.
If this technology proves to be a success, the airline will likely expand it to other hubs. It wouldn’t be surprising if other airlines joined in as well as coronavirus has heavily impacted the airline industry.
What are your thoughts on this new technology?
Additional resources for traveling during the coronavirus outbreak:
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- Airlines scale back inflight offerings due to coronavirus
- How to ward off coronavirus in your hotel room
- Guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.