Ethiopian Airlines Is Launching Another African Carrier, This Time With Nation of Chad
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s soon to be a new national flag carrier in Africa. This time in the nation of Chad.
The launch of Chadian Airlines — jointly owned by Ethiopian Airlines and Chad’s government — was finalized and announced by Ethiopian. Ethiopian holds a 49% stake in the venture while the government of Chad holds 51%.
The new airline is set to start operating flights on October 1, 2018, launching on an extremely quick turnaround. The airline will be based at Chad’s N’Djamena International Airport (NDJ). No details on Chadian Airlines’ fleet have yet been released.
“The new Chad national carrier will serve as a strong hub in Central Africa availing domestic, regional and eventually international air connectivity to the major destinations in the Middle East, Europe and Asia,” Ethiopian CEO Tewolde GebreMariam said in a press release.
Chadian Airlines will be the third African national carrier Ethiopian has launched. In 2014, the Star Alliance member launched Malawian Airlines along with the government of Malawi, and last week, Ethiopian announced it would be starting an airline with the government of Zambia, called Zambian Airways. That venture, which cost Ethiopian about $30 million, expects to operate 12 aircraft by 2028 with the inaugural flight currently slated for January 1, 2019.
Ethiopian is Africa’s largest airline by both revenue and fleet size. The carrier has a fleet size of 108 operating aircraft, among which are nine Airbus A350s, 19 Boeing 787-8s, 3 Boeing 787-9s, four Boeing 777-300ERs and six Boeing 777-200LRs. “Ethiopian is the first airline in Africa to own and operate these aircraft,” the airline said in its press release.
Ethiopian has plans to continue to expand its reach in Africa. The carrier is in the midst of implementing a 15-year growth strategy, called Vision 2025, which it started in 2010 in an effort to grow its hubs around Africa and become the leading aviation group on the continent.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees