Ethiopian is Starting a New Airline… In Zambia

Aug 20, 2018

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Africa’s largest airline continues to build its dominance in the region. Ethiopian Airlines has signed on to back a new airline in Zambia.

The venture will relaunch Zambia’s flag carrier, Zambia Airways, which has been dormant for more than 23 years.

Ethiopian injected $30 million into the project, which expects to operate 12 aircraft by 2028. Reuters reports that the inaugural flight will occur on January 1, 2019 — an ambitious date for an airline that doesn’t have any of its own aircraft.

“The initial investment as we start up the national carrier will be $30 million,” Ethiopian and Zambia’s state-owned Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) said in a joint statement. “Obviously, as we operate the airline, we will facilitate the financing necessary to support its growth.”

Ethiopian is Africa’s largest airline by both revenue and fleet size, surpassing other regional carriers like South African and Kenya Airways. It’s been investing in other airlines in the region, such as Malawi Airlines, which it operates, as well as plans to run Nigeria’s new national carrierEthiopian will own 45% of Zambia Airways with the other 55% being owned by the Zambian government.

After the state-owned Zambia Airways went into liquidation in 1994, the privately owned and operated Zambian Airways became the country’s most prominent airline but shut down in 2009.

The new airline will launch intra-Zambia and intra-Africa routes next year while it eyes destinations in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

In January, Ethiopian had announced that it signed an agreement with Zambia Airways, so this announcement is solidifying the plan to relaunch the airline. Apparently the launch was pushed back to January, and critics were quick to assess the move.

Ethiopian currently operates 103 aircraft. It’s possible it will loan some of its aircraft to Zambia Airways or use the $30 million to lease aircraft for the upstart.

Some reports indicate that the Brian Mushimba, the Zambian minister of Transport and Communications, is in talks with Airbus to acquire wide-body jets. The same report said the airline would use turboprop aircraft for domestic Zambian and regional African flights and Boeing 737s to destinations like Dubai.

Before it shutdown, Zambia Airways flew Boeing 747s and other wide-body aircraft and was sizable player in the African aviation market. It even flew a DC-10 between its hub at Lusaka (LUN) and New York (JFK), a route that it may actually restart.

The Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (LUN) is currently undergoing a major $360 million major expansion, funded by China.

Featured image courtesy of Dean Morley / Flickr

The All-New United Quest℠ Card

WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles

TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040

CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases

*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.

Apply Now
More Things to Know
  • Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
  • $250 Annual Fee
  • Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
  • Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
  • Earn 2X miles on all other travel
  • Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
  • Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.
Regular APR
16.49% to 23.49% Variable
Annual Fee
$250
Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Recommended Credit
Excellent, Good

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.