Emirates to resume fifth-freedom flights between Newark and Athens
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After suspending much of its fifth-freedom route network because of COVID-19, Emirates is gearing it back up. On Monday, Emirates announced that it’s set to relaunch its fifth-freedom route from Athens (ATH) to Newark (EWR) later this year.
As of June 1, 2021, the airline will resume operating a daily service between the Greek capital of Athens and the New Jersey city of Newark.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
The fifth-freedom route will start at Emirates‘ hub of Dubai (DXB) before making a stop to pick up and drop off passengers in Athens (ATH) and finally continuing on to Newark (EWR). The flight will be the second Emirates daily route from Dubai to the New York Metropolitan area, complementing its twice-daily Dubai to JFK service.
The flight will operate on the following schedule:
- EK209 Dubai (DXB) 10:50 a.m. Departure ⇒ Athens (ATH) 3 p.m. Arrival ⇒ Athens (ATH) 5:35 p.m. Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 9:20 p.m. Arrival
- EK210 Newark (EWR) 11:55 p.m Departure ⇒ Athens (ATH) 4:05 p.m. (+1) Arrival ⇒ Athens (ATH) 6:05 p.m. Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 11:35 p.m. Arrival
The route will be operated by one of Emirates’ three-class 777-300ER aircraft, though unfortunately, the aircraft doesn’t look to be equipped with the airline’s game-changer first-class product. Additionally, it looks to be equipped with the carrier’s outdated business class.
You can book a round-trip business-class itinerary from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for 90,000 Skywards miles or round-trip first-class itinerary for 135,000 Skywards miles at the saver award level.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Emirates has been gradually resuming service from its Dubai (DXB) hub to the United States. In early February, Emirates resumed four weekly flights to Seattle (SEA), and in March, it plans to resume three weekly flights to Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and four weekly flights to San Francisco (SFO). Additionally, the carrier is operating to Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), Washington, D.C. (IAD) and, as previously mentioned, New York (JFK).
Featured image by Sven Hansche/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees