Emirates Quietly Reduces Economy Baggage Allowance for Special and Saver Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Few experiences in the sky are as luxurious and memorable as Emirates first class. There’s made-to-order meals, motorized mini-bars, on-board showers and fine champagne. Oh, and you can check up to 50kg of baggage for no extra fee. For those who fly in the hundreds of economy seats, however, Emirates is about to put a squeeze on the amount of baggage you’re able to check gratis.
For tickets issued on or after Feb. 4, 2019, two types of economy fares will see their weight limits reduced by 5kg. It’s confusing enough that Emirates manages to market four kinds of economy tickets, and Special Economy tickets will see weight allowance shrink from 20kg to 15kg while Saver Economy tickets ratchet down from 30kg to 25kg.
The weight concept — which allows an unlimited quantity of bags until you reach the weight threshold — applies to all routes, excluding travel to and from destinations in the Americas and travel originating in Africa.
The piece concept applies to all routes to and from the Americas and flights originating in Africa. In this case, Special Economy is taking a hit by having its usual two pieces up to 23kg apiece reduced to one unless the journey originates in Africa.
Here’s a comparison with the other ME3 carriers operating in the Middle East.
- Qatar Airways allows all economy class passengers two pieces of free checked baggage up to 23kg each for flights to/from Brazil, flights between Brazil and Argentina and all other flights to/from Argentina, Canada and the United States. Flights between Doha, Casablanca and Marrakech, along with flights originating from Africa, allow up to 45kg. Flights to/from all other destinations have a weight cap of 30kg.
- Etihad Airways has a general policy to all destinations that allow 23kg of checked baggage for free on Economy Deal tickets, while Economy Saver and Classic tickets are allowed 30kg and Economy Flex is allowed 35kg.
If you’re flying Emirates in economy after Feb. 4, 2019, be sure to weigh your bags before getting to the airport to avoid any unexpected fees at the check-in counter.
All images by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees