Emirates Is Launching World’s Shortest Airbus A380 Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates announced on Friday that it will soon launch the shortest flight on an A380 in the world — a route of just 211 miles from Dubai to Muscat operated by the soon-to-be-out-of-production superjumbo jet.
The carrier with an all-long-haul fleet said that starting July 1, two daily flights will operate from its main base in Dubai (DXB) into Oman’s Muscat International Airport (MCT). The route is not new to Emirates, but the airline usually operates the quick flight with one of its Boeing 777 aircraft.
A giant A380 might seem like overkill for that short flight, which will last only about 40 minutes wheels up to wheels down. But, Emirates says the new A380 service will give long-haul passengers headed to Muscat via Dubai the chance to fly an “all A380” journey.
“The introduction of the A380 services to Muscat means more of our customers will have the opportunity to experience our industry-leading products onboard, and will also enhance choice and travel preferences as they plan their journeys,” Sheikh Majid Al Mualla, divisional senior vice president of Emirates’ Commercial Operations Centre, said in a statement.
The airline flew the route with an A380 as a one-off in July 2018, and TPG‘s Emily McNutt was on board in the carrier’s famous first-class cabin. “Even with less than one hour in the air, the airline and the crew didn’t skimp on the first-class details,” she said of the short hop.
The flight schedule is as follows (all times local):
EK 862 will depart Dubai at 8:25am and arrive in Muscat at 9:40am
EK 863 will depart Muscat at 11:15am and arrive in Dubai at 12:25pm
EK 864 will depart Dubai at 4:10pm and will arrive in Muscat at 5:25pm
EK 865 will depart Muscat at 7:05pm and arrive in Dubai at 8:15pm
Previously, Emirates’ shortest flight on the A380 was a 235-mile route from Dubai to Doha. That route was discontinued in 2017 due to the regional diplomatic crisis with Qatar.
Airbus, the builder of the A380, says the route is so short that the wiring in plane would actually stretch further than the route if it were unfurled: The double-decker plane has 310 miles of wiring would far outstretch the Dubai-Muscat flight’s 211 miles.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees