Emirates Is Launching World’s Shortest Airbus A380 Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates announced on Friday that it will soon launch the shortest flight on an A380 in the world — a route of just 211 miles from Dubai to Muscat operated by the soon-to-be-out-of-production superjumbo jet.
The carrier with an all-long-haul fleet said that starting July 1, two daily flights will operate from its main base in Dubai (DXB) into Oman’s Muscat International Airport (MCT). The route is not new to Emirates, but the airline usually operates the quick flight with one of its Boeing 777 aircraft.
A giant A380 might seem like overkill for that short flight, which will last only about 40 minutes wheels up to wheels down. But, Emirates says the new A380 service will give long-haul passengers headed to Muscat via Dubai the chance to fly an “all A380” journey.
“The introduction of the A380 services to Muscat means more of our customers will have the opportunity to experience our industry-leading products onboard, and will also enhance choice and travel preferences as they plan their journeys,” Sheikh Majid Al Mualla, divisional senior vice president of Emirates’ Commercial Operations Centre, said in a statement.
The airline flew the route with an A380 as a one-off in July 2018, and TPG‘s Emily McNutt was on board in the carrier’s famous first-class cabin. “Even with less than one hour in the air, the airline and the crew didn’t skimp on the first-class details,” she said of the short hop.
The flight schedule is as follows (all times local):
EK 862 will depart Dubai at 8:25am and arrive in Muscat at 9:40am
EK 863 will depart Muscat at 11:15am and arrive in Dubai at 12:25pm
EK 864 will depart Dubai at 4:10pm and will arrive in Muscat at 5:25pm
EK 865 will depart Muscat at 7:05pm and arrive in Dubai at 8:15pm
Previously, Emirates’ shortest flight on the A380 was a 235-mile route from Dubai to Doha. That route was discontinued in 2017 due to the regional diplomatic crisis with Qatar.
Airbus, the builder of the A380, says the route is so short that the wiring in plane would actually stretch further than the route if it were unfurled: The double-decker plane has 310 miles of wiring would far outstretch the Dubai-Muscat flight’s 211 miles.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.