Emirates has begun rapid pre-boarding COVID-19 testing at Dubai Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates is starting on-site rapid COVID-19 testing on passengers. The new testing program began today with travelers going from Dubai (DXB) to Tunisia (TUN) April 15.
This new protocol is in coordination with the Dubai Health Authority (DHA). This testing will allow for almost immediate confirmation with results provided in as little as 10 minutes through a quick blood test. This testing will also provide passengers with a COVID-19 test certificate, which some countries are now requiring for entry.
The passengers will be tested in the group check-in area of DXB in Terminal 3.
HE Humaid Al Qutami, Director-General of the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), said: “We are glad to work with Emirates on the successful implementation of rapid COVID-19 testing at the airport for departing travelers. To tackle COVID-19, we have been proactively working with various governmental organizations and the private health sector and we have implemented all necessary measures from public health protection to provision of high-quality health services in line with the latest international guidelines. We believe strongly that the most effective solutions require close partnerships with other public and private sector organizations.”
This comes nearly a week after another U.A.E based airline, Etihad, announced that it would begin implementing new technology that could identify early stages of coronavirus by monitoring passenger temperatures, heart rate and respiratory rate at airport touch points. This is certainly a less invasive solution, but much less effective as many people with coronavirus are asymptomatic.
In addition to testing departing passengers, Emirates is now requiring that all passengers wear their own masks when at the airport and during boarding.
What do you think about on-site rapid testing? Will the U.S. airlines follow Emirates lead or will it prove to be too invasive?
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
- Lessons from lockdown: What it’s like in Spain during the mandatory quarantine right now
- Myth-busting: Will a face mask keep you safe from viruses on a plane?
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- No travel required: 10 iconic museums you can tour online
Featured photo courtesy of Ryan Patterson.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees