Emirates Confirms Premium Economy Coming to the A380 in 2020
Emirates president Sir Tim Clark has confirmed some pretty exciting news for the airline’s hard product. On the company’s podcast, Clark confirmed rumors that had been swirling for years that Emirates would install premium economy seats on its aircraft.
When asked by the podcast’s host if Premium Economy had a future on Emirates, Clark responded:
“It remains a hot topic in [the] company. We have already specced out the airplanes, we know exactly what we are going to do, where we are going to place these seats… which zones and how we are going to design the product.”
Then, Clark confirmed that its new Airbus A380s, the ones that actually saved the jumbo jet program entirely, will be getting the new class of service.
“I think we will start certainly [with] the airplanes we have ordered, the latest A380s, the first six of which come in 2020, we will be installing premium economy into those,” Clark said. “And it will be an Emirates Premium Economy, so it will be special.”
A class in-between economy and business, premium economy is becoming more and more widespread, especially on international long-haul flights. Benefits include bigger seats with more recline, better service and increased mileage earning.
Emirates must feel that there’s some sort of market for this type of customer in its business — but Clark still seemed leery when stating he “just wants to make absolutely sure that the math stacks up.”
Emirates A380s will likely have four classes of service — first, business, premium economy and economy, a change from the normal two or three cabin layout. Some Emirates aircraft like the 777-200LR fly with just two classes, business and economy.
Details regarding what the seat will look like, how many seats there will be and other benefits that may come when purchasing a premium economy ticket are still unclear. But if it’s anything like Emirates products, it will likely be among the best in class. Emirates currently rules the first class market along with Singapore Airlines.
Emirates has a solid business product and its economy is known as one of the better options out there with generous pitch and top-of-the line IFE.
H/T: Live From a Lounge
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees