Emirates unveils ritzy new premium economy cabin and more aboard the A380
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates has unveiled its new A380 cabin, complete with a long-awaited premium economy product and improvements to its other seats. While none of them are particularly extravagant, they’re undoubtedly designed to give Emirates a competitive edge when demand for travel returns in 2021. The airline is offering a refreshed cabin with new finishes and a uniform color palette. Here’s everything you can expect to see onboard the Emirates A380.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Emirates’ A380 economy cabin is getting ergonomically designed seats for extra comfort. The seats are lighter and equipped with wood-grain tray tables, in line with its premium cabin seats.
Emirates’ premium economy cabin will be configured in a 2-4-2 layout, with 56 seats. The product is quite impressive, with 19.5″-wide leather seats featuring 8” recline and 40” pitch. Each seat has a 6-way adjustable headrest, calf and footrest, along with a 13.3” ICE entertainment system.
Overall, this product is pretty competitive with existing products offered by Virgin Atlantic and Japan Airlines. Emirates is the first Gulf carrier to offer a premium economy product, so it’s going to be interesting to see what kind of competing product (if anything) Qatar Airways and Etihad might offer in the future.
In some disappointing news, Emirates hasn’t made any major design changes to its business class product. Seats on the A380 will reupholster the existing seats to match the cream leather currently available on the 777. These aren’t the most innovative seats, largely due to a lack of privacy. Still, its upholstered seats are a cost-effective upgrade during a worldwide pandemic that has slowed down travel demand and revenue for Emirates.
If you were hoping Emirates would replace their A380 first class with its acclaimed suites product, you might be disappointed. Instead, Emirates is refreshing the first-class cabin onboard the A380 to be slightly wider, with new finishes and taller doors. More privacy is always a good thing, especially for those traveling during the pandemic. While it would have been nice to see the First Class Suites rolled out on the A380, it’s not surprising that it isn’t.
While most of the changes introduced by Emirates aren’t groundbreaking, they’re still positive and will improve travel for most passengers onboard the A380. These upgrades are also fairly sensible, considering Emirates is reeling from a global economic downturn caused by the pandemic. With travel projected to rebound next year, these improvements will give Emirates a competitive edge without making a huge financial dent.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees