Embraer delivers the first E195-E2, to Azul
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Azul took delivery of the first Embraer 195-E2 in commercial service, in a ceremony at the Brazilian airframer’s São José dos Campos facility Thursday.
The aircraft, registered PR-PJN, seats 136 passengers in an all-economy layout that includes 28 extra-legroom seats, the carrier said Thursday. Each seat has personal inflight entertainment and a power outlet, and Azul plans to install inflight Wi-Fi on the E195-E2 soon.
— Jon Ostrower (@jonostrower) September 12, 2019
“Each [E195-E2] will have a lower cost, higher revenue, and will deliver an exceptional customer experience, which all together will provide incredible leverage to Azul’s financial performance for the years to come,” said Azul CEO John Rodgerson in a statement.
Azul plans to introduce the E195-E2 on scheduled flights in October, it said. The airline anticipates five more deliveries by year-end, and has firm orders for 51 aircraft.
The E195-E2 is a stretched and updated version of the in-service E195. Azul configures the aircraft with 18 more seats than the prior generation, and estimates that unit costs will be about 26% lower.
The aircraft is the second in the E2 family to reach airline hands. Norway-based Widerøe took delivery of the first E190-E2, an updated version of the E190, in April 2018.
Azul is focused on growing with larger, more fuel efficient aircraft. The carrier has introduced 29 Airbus A320neos with 174 seats since taking delivery of its first in October 2016, and used the aircraft to replace E195s, which have 118 seats, at an operating unit cost savings of about 29%, the airline’s latest investor presentation shows.
This growth strategy has allowed Azul to continue to expand while insulating it some from Brazil’s high fuel prices and recent market swings.
Last month, Azul launched a shuttle on Brazil’s busiest air route — between Rio de Janeiro Santos Dumont (SDU) and São Paulo Congonhas (CGH) — with slots acquired through the bankruptcy of Avianca Brasil.
In addition, Azul plans to begin a new route to the U.S. this winter. It will add three-weekly flights between Belo Horizonte’s Confins (CFN) airport and Fort Lauderdale with an Airbus A330 in December.
Azul partners with both JetBlue Airways and United Airlines in the U.S. The latter also owns a nearly 10% stake in the Brazilian airline.
Featured image courtesy of Embraer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees