Officials Suspend All Avianca Brasil Flights Due to Safety Concerns
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Brazil’s National Civil Aviation Agency has suspended all flights operated by airline Avianca Brasil due to safety concerns, the AP reports.
The flight ban was announced on Friday afternoon, but it was not immediately clear what the specific safety issues were that grounded the carrier’s planes. Avianca Brasil licenses its name from the Colombian airline Avianca, but it operates independently.
Brazilian aviation authorities said that the airline must rebook or refund all of its passengers.
The mass grounding is the latest blow for Avianca Brasil, which has had a rocky few months. In December, the airline filed for bankruptcy. Then, in April, the carrier nixed routes from Sao Paolo to New York, Miami and Santiago, Chile, and canceled more than 1,000 flights when it had to return 18 planes to leasing agencies, according to AP.
Featured photo by Rafael Luiz Canossa/Flickr.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee