Disneyland Paris to Ban Plastic Straws, Plastic Bags and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disneyland Paris is taking new measures to decrease its carbon footprint.
The theme park, which is one of the most popular in the world, sees about 15 million guests a year and produces a considerable amount of waste — 19 tons in 2018 alone.
Currently, the park recycles paper, glass and 18 other materials, which account for about half its waste. The park is aiming to increase this number to 60% by 2020, according to Nicole Ouimet-Herter, environment manager for Disneyland Paris.
After a vote last month in the EU Parliament to ban single-use plastic products in 2021, Disneyland Paris is changing further. On Thursday, April 18, environmentally friendly paper straws will begin to be available on request as a step toward replacing plastic straws. (In the US, Disneyland and Disney World also have a goal of eliminating plastic straws this year. Plastic straws and balloons have not been allowed at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and theme park for many years.)
The straws, however, are just the beginning of Disneyland Paris’ plan for a more environmentally friendly theme park. Next week, park shops will offer bags made up of 80% recycled materials for €1 or €2 rather than handing out free plastic bags. And in June park hotels will be replacing mini shower gel or shampoos with larger, refillable bottles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees