Disneyland Paris to Ban Plastic Straws, Plastic Bags and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disneyland Paris is taking new measures to decrease its carbon footprint.
The theme park, which is one of the most popular in the world, sees about 15 million guests a year and produces a considerable amount of waste — 19 tons in 2018 alone.
Currently, the park recycles paper, glass and 18 other materials, which account for about half its waste. The park is aiming to increase this number to 60% by 2020, according to Nicole Ouimet-Herter, environment manager for Disneyland Paris.
After a vote last month in the EU Parliament to ban single-use plastic products in 2021, Disneyland Paris is changing further. On Thursday, April 18, environmentally friendly paper straws will begin to be available on request as a step toward replacing plastic straws. (In the US, Disneyland and Disney World also have a goal of eliminating plastic straws this year. Plastic straws and balloons have not been allowed at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and theme park for many years.)
The straws, however, are just the beginning of Disneyland Paris’ plan for a more environmentally friendly theme park. Next week, park shops will offer bags made up of 80% recycled materials for €1 or €2 rather than handing out free plastic bags. And in June park hotels will be replacing mini shower gel or shampoos with larger, refillable bottles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.