This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been to Disney World in recent history, you may have seen some pretty big construction projects going on — including the installation of massive support towers and six miles of cable that will hold the forthcoming Disney Skyliner Gondolas. Yes, gondolas are coming to warm and sunny Central Florida.
This Disney Skyliner project will connect four Disney Resorts (Disney’s Art of Animation, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach Resort and the yet-to-open Disney Vacation Club property, Riviera Resort) to two Disney World theme parks. These two parks are Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Notably, Hollywood Studios is where the much anticipated Star Wars Land will open in “late fall” 2019.
None of that is new information, but what is brand new is the timeline that was just announced on Wednesday by Bob Chapek, Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products. Travelers planning a trip to Walt Disney World next year can circle fall 2019 as not only the opening date for Star Wars Land, but also as when the Disney Skyliner gondolas are scheduled to begin transporting guests above the crowds and streets of Walt Disney World. For timing purposes, Star Wars Land has been announced as late fall, while the Skyliner project was just announced as fall (and based on a recent visit, construction seems to be chugging right along).
Should you wish to book a stay at one of the four connected resorts for later in 2019, I have to imagine that the experience will be enhanced with the opening of the Skyliner, especially if you are headed to the sure-to-be packed Star Wars Land in Hollywood Studios.
- TPG Ultimate Guide to Walt Disney World
- The Best Points Hotels Near Disney World
- Review of Disney’s Caribbean Beach Hotel
- How to Use Points for Disney Tickets
- How to Ride Every Disney World Ride in One Day
- Best Restaurants at Walt Disney World
- Best $69 You Can Spend at Disney World
- Reasons to Stay at a Walt Disney World Resort
Featured image courtesy of Disney.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Set your own sign-up bonus with the Discover it Miles card. Any rewards you earn in the first year will automatically be matched at the end of the year and you'll earn an unlimited 1.5 miles on all purchases with no annual fee.
- Unlimited Bonus: Discover will match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That's $700 towards travel! The more you earn, the more you get.
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates. Simply pay for travel purchases like airlines, hotels, rental cars, and more with your Discover it® Miles card.
- Miles Pay You Back. Easily redeem Miles as a statement credit for travel purchases. Or get cash.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- Rates & Fees