A New Terminal Is Coming to American Airlines’ Biggest Hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dallas/Fort Worth International will get a sixth passenger terminal, part of an agreement with the airport’s fast-growing top tenant: American Airlines.
The new “Terminal F” would be built on land south of DFW’s existing Terminal D and follows years of strong traffic growth at DFW, now the USA’s fourth-busiest as measured by passengers.
Earlier this year, American and DFW opened 15 new gates in a renovated satellite area of Terminal E. The Dallas Morning News writes that opening came as the airport was “already busting at the seams.” (DFW terminal map)
For now, DFW officials touted the new terminal as essential for continued growth.
“Today’s announcement sets the stage for DFW Airport’s next 50 years,” DFW Airport CEO Sean Donohue says in a Monday statement. “The new Terminal F and the expansion that could follow will provide the region with the growth it needs to compete with international business centers.”
The agreement for the new terminal also is expected to keep American in growth mode at DFW, which is already the carrier’s busiest hub.
“The plans we’re announcing today will allow for the continued growth of DFW and ensure the airport remains a premier gateway for American for many more years to come,” Parker says in a statement, calling DFW “a central gateway to our extensive international and domestic network.”
The project, which also includes “enhancements” to DFW’s Terminal C, is valued at up to $3.5 billion, according to DFW and American. Terminal F could be completed “as soon as 2025,” though design work is just now beginning.
Design work for Terminal F would begin “immediately,” with American and DFW saying they “will explore several different options for the layout of the Terminal F site.”
It was not clear how many gates would be added upon completion, though the joint release identified “a long-term projection of up to 24 gates, as demand for additional facilities is warranted.”
Whatever design is chosen, it may deviate from the layout of DFW’s other terminals, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. The newspaper writes: “Previously, airport officials have said Terminal F likely won’t be the same horseshoe shape of the other five terminals, and likely won’t include a parking garage because of travelers’ changing needs.”
Stay tuned …
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.