A New Terminal Is Coming to American Airlines’ Biggest Hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dallas/Fort Worth International will get a sixth passenger terminal, part of an agreement with the airport’s fast-growing top tenant: American Airlines.
The new “Terminal F” would be built on land south of DFW’s existing Terminal D and follows years of strong traffic growth at DFW, now the USA’s fourth-busiest as measured by passengers.
Earlier this year, American and DFW opened 15 new gates in a renovated satellite area of Terminal E. The Dallas Morning News writes that opening came as the airport was “already busting at the seams.” (DFW terminal map)
For now, DFW officials touted the new terminal as essential for continued growth.
“Today’s announcement sets the stage for DFW Airport’s next 50 years,” DFW Airport CEO Sean Donohue says in a Monday statement. “The new Terminal F and the expansion that could follow will provide the region with the growth it needs to compete with international business centers.”
The agreement for the new terminal also is expected to keep American in growth mode at DFW, which is already the carrier’s busiest hub.
“The plans we’re announcing today will allow for the continued growth of DFW and ensure the airport remains a premier gateway for American for many more years to come,” Parker says in a statement, calling DFW “a central gateway to our extensive international and domestic network.”
The project, which also includes “enhancements” to DFW’s Terminal C, is valued at up to $3.5 billion, according to DFW and American. Terminal F could be completed “as soon as 2025,” though design work is just now beginning.
Design work for Terminal F would begin “immediately,” with American and DFW saying they “will explore several different options for the layout of the Terminal F site.”
It was not clear how many gates would be added upon completion, though the joint release identified “a long-term projection of up to 24 gates, as demand for additional facilities is warranted.”
Whatever design is chosen, it may deviate from the layout of DFW’s other terminals, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. The newspaper writes: “Previously, airport officials have said Terminal F likely won’t be the same horseshoe shape of the other five terminals, and likely won’t include a parking garage because of travelers’ changing needs.”
Stay tuned …
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees