American Airlines Opens 15 New Gates (And a Whataburger!) at DFW Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has opened 15 new gates in the Terminal E satellite at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, supporting more than 100 daily regional flights for American Eagle service.
The renovated space also includes new ticket counters and gate areas, ramp lighting, moving walkways, elevators and escalators. And here’s the kicker — later this summer, AA will also open up a new Admirals Club in Terminal E and house the only Whataburger in the entire airport.
The new gates have been anticipated for months as part of a larger push by American to expand its operations at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW).
In an earnings call in late January 2019, American Airlines management confirmed that DFW is one of the airline’s most profitable hubs. AA’s Chief Financial Officer Derek Kerr didn’t share any specific data, but he did reveal that the DFW hub profitability margin is “twice the system average.”
AA also explained that it was going to need more flight attendants since the airline is “increasing domestic flying as well as adding new international destinations like Munich and Dublin while adding frequencies to Madrid and Paris” from DFW.
Now, the expansions are here. According to an AA press release, by early June the airline will operate more than 900 daily flights from DFW with the addition of 23 new destinations. These include flights to Dublin (DUB), Munich (MUC), Kalispell, Montana (FCA), Harlingen, Texas (HRL), Monterey, California (MRY) and Augusta, Georgia (AGS). AA will also bolster service for 84 existing routes with Boston (BOS), Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (LGA).
All in all, passengers will be able to fly 234 nonstop routes within the AA network from DFW and enabling access to more than 9,000 one-stop connections through the airport. That is more than any other airline hub in the world, American says.
Outside of Terminal E, American will also be opening a Flagship Lounge (featuring Flagship First Dining and a renovated Admirals Club) in Terminal D on May 16. The Fort Worth-based airline will also open six mainline gates at Terminal B sometime in June.
Featured image by Aneese / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.