American Airlines Opens 15 New Gates (And a Whataburger!) at DFW Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has opened 15 new gates in the Terminal E satellite at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, supporting more than 100 daily regional flights for American Eagle service.
The renovated space also includes new ticket counters and gate areas, ramp lighting, moving walkways, elevators and escalators. And here’s the kicker — later this summer, AA will also open up a new Admirals Club in Terminal E and house the only Whataburger in the entire airport.
The new gates have been anticipated for months as part of a larger push by American to expand its operations at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW).
In an earnings call in late January 2019, American Airlines management confirmed that DFW is one of the airline’s most profitable hubs. AA’s Chief Financial Officer Derek Kerr didn’t share any specific data, but he did reveal that the DFW hub profitability margin is “twice the system average.”
AA also explained that it was going to need more flight attendants since the airline is “increasing domestic flying as well as adding new international destinations like Munich and Dublin while adding frequencies to Madrid and Paris” from DFW.
Now, the expansions are here. According to an AA press release, by early June the airline will operate more than 900 daily flights from DFW with the addition of 23 new destinations. These include flights to Dublin (DUB), Munich (MUC), Kalispell, Montana (FCA), Harlingen, Texas (HRL), Monterey, California (MRY) and Augusta, Georgia (AGS). AA will also bolster service for 84 existing routes with Boston (BOS), Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (LGA).
All in all, passengers will be able to fly 234 nonstop routes within the AA network from DFW and enabling access to more than 9,000 one-stop connections through the airport. That is more than any other airline hub in the world, American says.
Outside of Terminal E, American will also be opening a Flagship Lounge (featuring Flagship First Dining and a renovated Admirals Club) in Terminal D on May 16. The Fort Worth-based airline will also open six mainline gates at Terminal B sometime in June.
Featured image by Aneese / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees