Delta’s First Airbus A330-900neo Lands in Atlanta to Prep for Passenger Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s first Airbus A330-900neo has touched down at the airline’s Atlanta headquarters following its farewell from Toulouse, France. Now, Delta will begin making its final preparations for the jet in advance of passenger service beginning on July 15.
The wide-body jet, of which Delta has 35 on order, is destined to replace aging Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on long-haul international routes. The A330-900neo features all four of Delta’s branded cabins — Delta One Suites, Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin (economy).
The A330-900neo will be the first Delta aircraft to feature memory foam cushions throughout the aircraft, and the first Delta wide-body aircraft featuring its new wireless inflight entertainment system in every seat. Gogo’s 2Ku satellite-based WiFi will also be installed to keep passengers connected for their jaunt over the ocean.
Ship 3401 crossed the Atlantic Ocean as Flight 9941, covering 4,870 miles in 9 hours and 22 minutes. With a late departure from France, it arrived in Atlanta at 2:09am on Friday (May 24). Of note, the delivery flight was made with “synthetic jet fuel,” and Delta has confirmed that it’s working with Airbus to “power future delivery flights with similar fuels.”
What’s next? It’ll spend some time in Delta’s sprawling TechOps facility — which we toured late last year — before moving into passenger service this summer. Delta has yet to confirm whether this very ship will be used on the A330-900neo’s inaugural flight between Seattle and Shanghai, but yours truly will be sure to look when boarding commences on July 15.
This article has been updated to reflect the new A330-900neo (A339) inaugural flight date, which was officially moved from July 1 to July 15, 2019. Only the inaugural flight is impacted; all other A339 routes will proceed as previously announced.
Delta’s statement on the change follows: “Because Delta is taking delivery of new A330-900neo aircraft later than initially expected, Delta will debut the industry-leading widebody aircraft on scheduled Seattle-Shanghai service on July 15 instead of July 1. Delta will work with customers on a case-by-case basis to find alternate flights if needed, but Seattle-Shanghai service will continue with Boeing 767-300ER aircraft.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees