Delta Will Be the Launch Operator of Revamped CRJ Series Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bombardier announced on Wednesday that Delta has signed a firm agreement to buy 20 CRJ900 regional jets — making it the launch operator of Bombardier’s new Atmosphere cabin for CRJ Series regional jets. The actual price paid by Delta for the 70-seat planes hasn’t been announced, but the order is valued at about $961 million based on the list price.
The new Atmosphere cabin will offer an enhanced passenger experience with bigger overhead storage bins, wider aisles and mood lighting. According to Bombardier’s release, the planes will be fitted with “a comfortable two-class regional jet configuration with 70 seats,” which is six seats less than what American Airlines plans to install on its new CRJ900s.
The first deliveries of the CRJ900s are set to take place in late 2018 — before American begins taking delivery of its new planes in the second quarter of 2019 — and will fly under the Delta Connection brand, a wholly owned subsidiary of the carrier.
Although, Bombardier has struggled to keep its CRJ program afloat as it focused more on its new C-Series program, this order brings the number of recorded firm orders for CRJ Series aircraft up to 1,953. Airbus will own a majority stake in the C-Series aircraft, effective July 1.
Featured image courtesy of Bombardier.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.