Delta Will Be the Launch Operator of Revamped CRJ Series Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bombardier announced on Wednesday that Delta has signed a firm agreement to buy 20 CRJ900 regional jets — making it the launch operator of Bombardier’s new Atmosphere cabin for CRJ Series regional jets. The actual price paid by Delta for the 70-seat planes hasn’t been announced, but the order is valued at about $961 million based on the list price.
The new Atmosphere cabin will offer an enhanced passenger experience with bigger overhead storage bins, wider aisles and mood lighting. According to Bombardier’s release, the planes will be fitted with “a comfortable two-class regional jet configuration with 70 seats,” which is six seats less than what American Airlines plans to install on its new CRJ900s.
The first deliveries of the CRJ900s are set to take place in late 2018 — before American begins taking delivery of its new planes in the second quarter of 2019 — and will fly under the Delta Connection brand, a wholly owned subsidiary of the carrier.
Although, Bombardier has struggled to keep its CRJ program afloat as it focused more on its new C-Series program, this order brings the number of recorded firm orders for CRJ Series aircraft up to 1,953. Airbus will own a majority stake in the C-Series aircraft, effective July 1.
Featured image courtesy of Bombardier.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees