This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bombardier announced on Wednesday that Delta has signed a firm agreement to buy 20 CRJ900 regional jets — making it the launch operator of Bombardier’s new Atmosphere cabin for CRJ Series regional jets. The actual price paid by Delta for the 70-seat planes hasn’t been announced, but the order is valued at about $961 million based on the list price.
The new Atmosphere cabin will offer an enhanced passenger experience with bigger overhead storage bins, wider aisles and mood lighting. According to Bombardier’s release, the planes will be fitted with “a comfortable two-class regional jet configuration with 70 seats,” which is six seats less than what American Airlines plans to install on its new CRJ900s.
The first deliveries of the CRJ900s are set to take place in late 2018 — before American begins taking delivery of its new planes in the second quarter of 2019 — and will fly under the Delta Connection brand, a wholly owned subsidiary of the carrier.
Although, Bombardier has struggled to keep its CRJ program afloat as it focused more on its new C-Series program, this order brings the number of recorded firm orders for CRJ Series aircraft up to 1,953. Airbus will own a majority stake in the C-Series aircraft, effective July 1.
Featured image courtesy of Bombardier.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards