American Can’t Pick Just One, Places Regional Orders With Bombardier and Embraer Totaling $1.4 Billion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines announced on Thursday that it’s placed two separate aircraft orders — one with Bombardier and one with Embraer — totaling $1.4 billion. The Dallas-based carrier’s Thursday order includes both a firm order for 15 Embraer E175 jets and 15 Bombardier CRJ900s.
The order for 15 Embraer E175s is worth $705 million, based on current list prices. Combined with the carrier’s previous three E175 orders, the contract for AA orders with Embraer totals 89 — most recently, an order for 10 in October 2017. Deliveries for the order of 15 E175s placed on Thursday from Brazil-based Embraer will take place between March and November 2019.
Each of the 15 E175s ordered by AA on Thursday will be operated by Envoy Air, a wholly owned subsidiary of the carrier. The aircraft will be outfitted with 76 seats — 12 in first class and 64 in the main cabin, including Main Cabin Extra seats. Along with the firm order for 15 E175s, AA’s also took options for 15 more.
The second order AA placed on Thursday is with Embraer’s Canadian competitor, Bombardier. In total, American placed an order for 15 of Bombardier’s CRJ900 jets, which will be operated by regional affiliate PSA Airlines. Based on list value, the order has a value of about $719 million. In addition, it also took options for 15 more CRJ900s.
The new CRJ900s will feature Bombardier’s Atmosphere cabin, offering an enhanced passenger experience and can accommodate a large number of roller bags in its overhead bins. The aircraft will feature 76 seats — 12 in first class and the remaining in economy. The first deliveries of the CRJ900 are set to take place in the second quarter of 2019.
Bombardier has struggled to keep its CRJ program afloat, admitting to neglecting it in favor of its new CSeries family.
As Bloomberg reports, American had about 118 CRJ900 aircraft operated by regional affiliates PSA and Mesa at the end of 2017. In addition, it had 148 E175s in operation at Republic, Envoy and Compass affiliates. It’s added about 200 dual-class regional jets in the past four years. Thursday’s order for 30 more of the jets shows the emphasis AA is putting on updating its regional jet fleet.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees