This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of Delta’s joint venture with UK-based Virgin Atlantic, the two airlines offer reciprocal benefits to one another’s frequent flyers. These benefits have been offered to elite frequent flyers since the two airlines announced their partnership. However, Delta’s entry-level elite frequent flyers, Silver Medallions, were, for the most part, excluded from receiving those reciprocal benefits.
Silver Medallions were previously only offered the option to check an additional piece of luggage at no additional cost, beginning in November 2018. Now, Delta is expanding reciprocal benefits offered to Silver Medallions on Virgin Atlantic flights. Effective May 21st, Silver Medallions will receive the following benefits when traveling on Virgin Atlantic, according to Delta’s site:
- Priority Check-in at Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy check-in counters
- Priority Boarding on Virgin Atlantic flights regardless of cabin
- Existing Benefit: Additional piece of checked luggage at no additional cost
On Virgin Atlantic, priority boarding will take place following Upper Class passengers and those needing additional assistance. Priority boarding is also offered as a benefit of Premium Economy and Economy Delight fares on Virgin.
Existing benefits offered by Virgin to higher-tier Delta elite frequent flyers are unchanged. Delta Gold, Platinum, and Diamond Medallions will continue to receive the following benefits when flying with Virgin Atlantic:
- Complimentary advanced seat assignments
- Priority Security
- Lounge Access (See TPG’s post on Virgin lounge access for Delta elites)
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Use of Delta Global Upgrade Certificates
To take advantage of these benefits on Virgin Atlantic flights, all travelers will need to do is ensure they provide their Delta SkyMiles number when booking a flight.
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel