Delta will restart automatic elite upgrades to first class and Comfort+
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every airline is approaching social distancing differently. While most U.S. carriers are blocking middle seat assignments, few are going so far as the cap the number of tickets they’ll sell on each flight.
Of the major U.S. airlines, only four — Alaska, Delta, JetBlue and Southwest — are capping ticket sales. On Wednesday, Delta became the first carrier to extend its social distancing policy through the summer.
And in that announcement, the Atlanta-based carrier also confirmed that it’s restarting automatic upgrades beginning on Wednesday, June 10.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
When Delta first introduced its social distancing policy, the airline temporarily stopped processing upgrades in advance. This way, gate agents could ensure that they didn’t go over the seat cap for the forward cabins. The caps have now been automated, so upgrades will once again be processed in advance.
This is great news for those who’ve restarted traveling. A bump to first class will ensure that there’s no one sitting on your side of a narrowbody plane, since first class is capped at 50% capacity. In addition to first-class upgrades, Delta is also restarting Comfort+ upgrades, as well as those to Delta One on lie-flat equipped jets on domestic segments.
While first-class upgrades are subject to availability with the 50% cap, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will clear beginning 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure, Gold Medallion Members will clear beginning 72 hours (3 days) prior to departure and Silver Medallion Members will clear beginning 24 hours (1 day) prior to departure.
Coach and Comfort+ is capped at 60% of available seating. For Comfort+ upgrades, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will be confirmed shortly after ticketing, if there are seats available. Gold Medallion Members will clear beginning 72 hours (3 days) prior to departure and Silver Medallion Members will clear beginning 24 hours (1 day) prior to departure. Again, all subject to seat availability within the caps.
Of the U.S. “big three” carriers, United has also paused automatic elite upgrades in advance. Like Delta, UA is manually processing them at the gate before departure. The Chicago-based carrier hasn’t announced when it plans to restart automatically clearing upgrades. American Airlines, on the other hand, has continued to process elite upgrades in advance throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
As travel slowly begins to restart, Delta loyalists will certainly appreciate knowing whether or not they’ve been upgraded well before departure. Though you’re promised an empty middle seat in coach, most flyers would likely appreciate the extra space up front. Plus, if you didn’t score the upgrade on your desired flight, you’ll also have the opportunity to make a same-day change to a flight with better odds.
Nonetheless, even if you do indeed score the upgrade, note that the inflight service will likely look a lot different than before.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees