Delta does away with middle-seat ‘upgrades’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a Delta Medallion member, the days of being “upgraded” into a middle Comfort+ seat may be over.
After almost a year of testing, the airline has updated its upgrade request process. A new option now allows all elites to specify what kind of seat they’re willing to be upgraded into.
Once your itinerary is ticketed, passengers who qualify for complimentary upgrades can specify if they’d like to be upgraded into a aisle, window and/or middle Comfort+ seat. The automatic upgrade will only happen if their chosen preferences are available.
“Following nearly a year of testing, Delta is launching the ability for all Medallion Members to choose their seat preferences on a flight-by-flight basis for complimentary upgrades to Delta Comfort+, ultimately resulting in a better upgrade experience for this loyal group of customers,” the airline said in a statement.
Upgrades to a Comfort+ middle seat have long been a major complaint for SkyMiles Medallion members.
Delta started experimenting with solutions to passenger complaints as early as 2017, when the airline started allowing elites to choose their seat once a Comfort+ upgrade cleared, or reject the upgrade if they’d prefer to stick with their original selection. This option will still be available with the updates, according to Delta.
Delta said it’s received positive customer feedback throughout the tests, and that the new upgrade system “will offer more choice, flexibility and control” for its elite frequent fliers.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.