Delta Upgrade Improvement: No More Automatic Comfort+ Middle Seats… For Some
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s been making small steps to improve its SkyMiles program, and recently introduced the ability to upgrade with miles. On Wednesday it rolled out the ability to upgrade with miles via its mobile app, but what’s even more intriguing is a significant improvement to the upgrade process the carrier has quietly been testing since September.
A common complaint of many Delta elite passengers is the the way the upgrade process currently works. Unlike American and United, which allow their elite flyers to choose an Economy Plus or Main Cabin Extra (their extra-legroom economy product) seat at time of booking, Delta actually upgrades its elites to Comfort+ after they’ve purchased the ticket.
Delta essentially treats Comfort+ as a different cabin. For higher-level Diamond and Platinum elites, these upgrades usually clear quite quickly after booking a ticket. Comfort+ upgrades for Golds and Silvers start at 72 and 24 hours before departure, respectively.
The issue Delta elites have is that after choosing a window or aisle seat in coach when purchasing their ticket, they are then upgraded to a Comfort+ middle seat. Many elites would rather stay in their original seat in the back of the cabin than take the option that gives them more legroom but squishes them between two other flyers.
To alleviate this, Delta started allowing elites to reverse a Comfort+ upgrade. It’s also testing an option that allows its elites to opt out of upgrades to Comfort+ if it means they have to take a middle seat.
We’ve received more reader reports that Delta is continuing to trial this feature and that it’s getting more customizable. Screenshots show that you can “only upgrade if my Seat Preferences are available.” In this case you can add aisle, window and middle seats to your preferences. In previous tests we’ve seen, you couldn’t be as specific and were barred from choosing to apply those preferences to all segments of the trip.
The trial appears to be random. Three TPG staffers including Managing Editor Alberto Riva and Executive Editorial Director Scott Mayerowitz, both Delta Platinum Medallions, have not seen the offer in their app. Reviews Editor Nick Ellis, who’s a top-tier Delta Diamond, wasn’t targeted for the tests either. TPG reader and Delta Gold Medallion Chris M. sent us the above screenshot showing the new seat upgrade preferences.
We reached out to Delta to find out more and they provided the following statement:
Based on Medallion Member feedback and as a part of our ongoing effort to improve the customer experience, Delta is testing the ability for Medallion Members to choose their seat preferences on a flight-by-flight basis for complimentary upgrades to Delta Comfort+, ultimately resulting in a better upgrade experience for this loyal group of customers.
For more, read:
Featured photo of Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees