You Can Now Use SkyMiles to Upgrade Your Delta Seat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta CEO Ed Bastian let slip at the end of the airline’s Q3 2018 earnings call that buy-ups via SkyMiles were coming, and come they have. In an effort to give passengers even more ways to “burn their miles,” as Bastian so aptly stated, Delta flyers (and TPG tipsters) are waking up this morning to a new upgrade option.
Previously, select tickets purchased with cash would trigger upgrade options when sifting through trips in your Delta.com account. Those upgrades were only purchasable via more cash until today.
Of the six upcoming Delta round-trip itineraries in my account right now, five of them are eligible to move from either Main Cabin or Comfort+ into the First Class cabin via cash or SkyMiles — the latter of which wasn’t an option yesterday. It’s worth noting that the SkyMiles buy-up option doesn’t discriminate between paid bookings and award bookings. I have a mix of both coming up, and Delta is more than happy to accept miles or cash on either to upgrade my seat.
The lone holdout is an interesting one, as it’s a multi-cabin experience. I purchased a round-trip ticket between New York (LGA) and Dallas (DFW), with the outbound in Main Cabin and the return in First Class. There’s no upgrade option at all on that itinerary.
TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva is flying between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) on Christmas Day, and is being offered an upgrade into Delta One for $853.93 or 79,900 miles.
While it feels as if Delta is still working out a couple of IT kinks, I’ve seen no indication that this will be purposefully limited. Per Bastian’s prior comments, Delta wants to make it as easy as possible to part ways with SkyMiles. TPG has reached out to Delta for confirmation and will update this article when we receive a response.
So, is this actually a good deal? In a word, no. In a few words, not at all. What’s glaringly obvious across all of the offers I’ve seen, including my own, is that each buy-up offer is pegged to roughly 1 cent per SkyMile. This is in alignment with other new areas where Delta is allowing you to use SkyMiles as cash, including premium alcohol in Sky Clubs.
With Delta’s fixed award chart but a distant memory, it is also becoming increasingly difficult to find outsized value from SkyMiles when looking to book award tickets on Delta.com. With dynamic pricing in effect, Delta is moving ever closer to pricing award tickets at a level that aligns with the “1 cent per SkyMile” approach.
The only notable silver lining is Delta’s rash of award sales, which do surface some pretty stellar deals. This news also comes just a day after Delta began surfacing Basic Economy tickets while searching for SkyMiles awards.
As shown above, I’m not seeing these mileage-based buy-up offers live in the Fly Delta app just yet (only cash), but it was mentioned on the aforesaid earnings call that it’s coming in Q1 2019.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees