Deal Alert: Award Flights to the Caribbean and Mexico From 12,000 Miles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
You can fly from many destinations across the US to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS), San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) and Cancun, Mexico (CUN) from just 12,000 miles round-trip.
You’ll want to head to Delta.com and enter your origin city and your preferred destination. Many departure cities appear to be available so it could still be worth plugging in even if you don’t see it listed below.
These aren’t basic economy fares meaning you’ll be able to check bags for free. If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities (JFK/LGA/BOS/DCA/IAD/LAX/BNA/ORD/DFW/PDX and likely others) to NAS/SJU/SDQ/CUN
Cost: From 12,000 miles in economy plus taxes/fees
Travel Dates: March 1 to April 19, 2019
Purchase By: December 12
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Cancun (CUN) for 12,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 14,000 miles + $120 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Washington DC (DCA) to Nassau (NAS) for 15,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for 16,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $78 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Nashville (BNA) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Cancun (CUN) for 21,500 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Washington DC (DCA) to San Juan (SJU) for 22,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 26,000 miles + $126 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for 26,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Nassau (NAS) for 28,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image courtesy of Frank Knight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees