This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can fly from many destinations across the US to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS), San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) and Cancun, Mexico (CUN) from just 12,000 miles round-trip.
You’ll want to head to Delta.com and enter your origin city and your preferred destination. Many departure cities appear to be available so it could still be worth plugging in even if you don’t see it listed below.
These aren’t basic economy fares meaning you’ll be able to check bags for free. If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities (JFK/LGA/BOS/DCA/IAD/LAX/BNA/ORD/DFW/PDX and likely others) to NAS/SJU/SDQ/CUN
Cost: From 12,000 miles in economy plus taxes/fees
Travel Dates: March 1 to April 19, 2019
Purchase By: December 12
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Cancun (CUN) for 12,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 14,000 miles + $120 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Washington DC (DCA) to Nassau (NAS) for 15,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for 16,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $78 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Nashville (BNA) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Cancun (CUN) for 21,500 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Washington DC (DCA) to San Juan (SJU) for 22,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 26,000 miles + $126 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for 26,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Nassau (NAS) for 28,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 SkyMiles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. Plus, a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within the first three months. Plus, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image courtesy of Frank Knight.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees