This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can fly from many destinations across the US to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS), San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) and Cancun, Mexico (CUN) from just 12,000 miles round-trip.
You’ll want to head to Delta.com and enter your origin city and your preferred destination. Many departure cities appear to be available so it could still be worth plugging in even if you don’t see it listed below.
These aren’t basic economy fares meaning you’ll be able to check bags for free. If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities (JFK/LGA/BOS/DCA/IAD/LAX/BNA/ORD/DFW/PDX and likely others) to NAS/SJU/SDQ/CUN
Cost: From 12,000 miles in economy plus taxes/fees
Travel Dates: March 1 to April 19, 2019
Purchase By: December 12
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Cancun (CUN) for 12,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 14,000 miles + $120 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Washington DC (DCA) to Nassau (NAS) for 15,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for 16,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $78 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Nashville (BNA) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Cancun (CUN) for 21,500 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Washington DC (DCA) to San Juan (SJU) for 22,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 26,000 miles + $126 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for 26,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Nassau (NAS) for 28,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Plus, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image courtesy of Frank Knight.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees