Deal Alert: Award Flights to the Caribbean and Mexico From 12,000 Miles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
You can fly from many destinations across the US to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS), San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) and Cancun, Mexico (CUN) from just 12,000 miles round-trip.
You’ll want to head to Delta.com and enter your origin city and your preferred destination. Many departure cities appear to be available so it could still be worth plugging in even if you don’t see it listed below.
These aren’t basic economy fares meaning you’ll be able to check bags for free. If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities (JFK/LGA/BOS/DCA/IAD/LAX/BNA/ORD/DFW/PDX and likely others) to NAS/SJU/SDQ/CUN
Cost: From 12,000 miles in economy plus taxes/fees
Travel Dates: March 1 to April 19, 2019
Purchase By: December 12
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Cancun (CUN) for 12,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 14,000 miles + $120 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Washington DC (DCA) to Nassau (NAS) for 15,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for 16,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $78 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Nashville (BNA) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Dallas (DFW) to Cancun (CUN) for 21,500 miles + $84 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Washington DC (DCA) to San Juan (SJU) for 22,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Santo Domingo (SDQ) for 26,000 miles + $126 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for 26,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Portland (PDX) to Nassau (NAS) for 28,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image courtesy of Frank Knight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.