Deal Alert: Award Flights to Asia From 30,000 Miles Round-Trip, 50,000 Miles in Premium Select
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta appears to have brought back its SkyMiles sale to Asia, Thrifty Traveler has found. Flights from across the US to Beijing (PEK), Shanghai (PVG), Seoul (ICN) and Tokyo (NRT/HND) are available from as little as 30,000 miles round-trip.
It seems that nearly every major departure city is eligible for the sale, although not all award rates will be as low as 30,000 miles.
At current TPG valuations, 30,000 SkyMiles are worth just $360. Add in taxes and fees starting at $35 and this is equivalent to scoring a $395 round-trip deal. Even better, these aren’t basic economy fares meaning you’ll be able to check bags for free.
But, there’s also an opportunity to fly in Delta’s true “Premium Select” premium economy product for just 50,000 miles round-trip. At TPG’s valuation, that’s just $600 of value before just $35 in taxes. Premium Economy fares usually price well north of $1,000.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Unless you book a flight to a third country, you can’t take advantage of China’s “visa-free transit” policy. So, make sure you get the right visa before traveling or you won’t even be able to get on the plane. TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa, and if you mention The Points Guy on your order form, you’ll get a $5 discount.
Routes: Most major US cities to PEK/PVG/HND/NRT/ICN
Cost: From 30,000 miles in economy or 50,000 in Premium Select plus taxes/fees starting at $35 round-trip
Travel Dates: February through April
Purchase By: Within the next day or two
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Seattle (SEA) to Beijing (PEK) for 30,000 miles + $35 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) for 30,000 miles + $41 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) for 30,000 miles + $41 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) for 34,000 miles + $35 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Buffalo (BUF) to Shanghai (PVG) for 34,000 miles + $41 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Beijing (PEK) for 40,000 miles + $41 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) for 50,000 miles + $35 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop in Premium Select:
San Francisco (SFO) to Shanghai (PVG) for 50,000 miles + $41 in taxes and fees round-trip in Premium Select:
Atlanta (ATL) to Seoul (ICN) for 70,000 miles + $47 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop in Premium Select:
Atlanta (ATL) to Tokyo (NRT) for 90,000 miles + $56 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop in Premium Select:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply. Plus, this is a great card for defeating basic economy.
Feature image courtesy of Nikada via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees