Delta Integrates CarePod Technology to Better Monitor and Track Pet Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There has unfortunately been no shortage of tragedies involving pets on airplanes. Between heat, unfamiliar surroundings triggering stress and an inconsistent approach to handling, it’s understandable for pet owners to be anxious when leaning on an airline to get the furriest member of their family from one place to another.
Delta’s taking its responsibility in handling pets seriously, with its cargo arm (Delta Cargo) announcing on Tuesday an exclusive long-term partnership with CarePod. CarePod, a Singapore-based pet technology startup, is enabling Delta Cargo to launch an entirely new pet transportation strategy. CarePod will “help Delta better carry and monitor pets throughout the network, with real-time updates for customers,” which is alongside the recent introduction of “a staff veterinarian to the Delta Cargo team who will review policies and procedures to ensure safe and comfortable pet travel.”
Delta already enlists specially trained ground handlers who are tasked with taking care of pets at every step of their journey, along with temperature-controlled holding areas and vehicles in numerous locations, overnight kenneling services and real-time GPS tracking service for pet shipments. The new Cargo Control Center in Atlanta also gives the airline 24/7/365 visibility into all shipments, including pets. Perhaps unsurprisingly given the above, Delta ranked as the number one airline for pet travel in a reader survey conducted by TPG and Airfarewatchdog.com.
CarePod describes itself as “a full-stack platform that help airlines create additional ancillary revenue and distinct brand differentiation via an end to end customer, pet travel solution.” While details on the product are scant, we do know that the company sells German-engineered “smart” travel pods, along with real-time tracking solutions and cloud-based software. Presumably, that combination of kit will enable Delta to keep tabs on the pets it carries, and more quickly respond to volatile situations before they become headline news.
The news continues a trend at Delta: The airline is really, really keen on keeping track of things. It rolled RFID luggage tracking a few years ago, and soon, will unveil the world’s first biometric terminal in Atlanta (ATL).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees